Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radio brand

Old 03-07-2007, 03:14 PM
spiral_72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio brand

I am trying to get back in the hobby after about 10 years or more. I'm in the market for a 4ch radio set. I used to own a Futaba and a Cox radio. Cox is out of the question, but of the brands available on Tower Hobbies is there any to stay away from? or any with consistantly far better quality? Kinda like I'll never buy another Emerson TV.

Tactic
Hitec
Futaba
Airtronics

I was happy with the Futaba of past, but they look like they've lost something now. I dunno. Looks isn't everything.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:36 PM
roofer

Default RE: Radio brand

Dont know about futaba but my Hitec is very good no problems also got JR just as good
Old 03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be happy with any of the brands: JR (my brand), Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and so on. Quality is not an issue with any of the major brands now days. I would strongly suggest getting a six channel instead of four ( unless this is for park flyers ). I got the four ch. and then found myself buying a new radio down the road when I needed another channel. They are not that much more. Also, a computer radio is the only way to go. So much easier setting up a plane with one. They are very easy to use too. Good luck!

Check out this 6 channel. This isn't on Tower but your getting a lot of radio for the money.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=JSP16010**

Old 03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
dan4466
My Feedback: (68)

Sorry, Spiral...the one I posted is the park flyer version. Heres the right one.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=JSP16000**
Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

See what most of the flyers at your field are using, and make sure your local hobby shop has support for the brand you want. If you will be "buddy-boxing", you need to be compatable with your instructor. I use Airtronics, so as you can see it's a "Ford" or "Chevy" thing.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
spiral_72

Hey, that JR is pretty nice! Not too bad a price for a 6 channel eh?

Right now I'm gonna plug it into my old Spirit sailplane (2ch). If I can relight the old fire, I'll get an Avistar .40 or similar.

I guess your right...... better opt for the 6ch, it's not much more.

Thanks for the opinions!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
BillyGoat

I agree with going more than four channels, gives you a little room to grow especially since you’re returning to the sport.

One thing I believe you should highly consider is the new 2.4 GHz. This is without a doubt the future of our sport. If I were buying a new radio it would be one of these.

Not sure how much reading you’ve done on this site but systems incorporating this technology are currently popping up like mushrooms after a rainstorm. If you go to the Radio forum there is a lot of talking going on right now and rightfully so this is an exciting time for R/Cers.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
aerowoof

if every one goes to 2.4 then I should be all alone on the 72 band and not have to wait for a pin.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
orenda635

Hitec, very good and cheap. I personally recommend the Optic 6 since it's synthesized with the Spectra module. Hitec is working on a 2.4ghz Spectra module too so you can upgrade they system in the future. I've been using it for over a year now and it's a great radio.

As for Futaba, I've had bad luck with their low end stuff, specifically the Skysport 4. My recommendation is if you really want a Futaba system, go buy the Tower Hobbies OEM model. They're made by Futaba but don't have the Futaba brand on them. They're significantly cheaper than the branded ones but are identical in every other way.

For JR, the 6ch 6102 FM is decent for a 72mhz. I'd consider the Spektrum DX7 though (also made by JR). The only downside with the DX7 is the price of the receivers, which are $100 US each.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 PM
decay

Futaba is the radio of choice where I fly, 90% FUTABA.
I agree Hi-tec radios sell for cheap, but what you get
is a cheap radio. Futaba is only a bit more, and their
better radios overall.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 AM
orenda635

Hitec where servos are concerned is pretty much the radio of choice now. All the competition fliers use Hitec servos.

Where I fly, it's pretty much an even mix of Futaba and JR. Futaba gets to be popular because it comes with most Hobbico RTF trainers (which are the most popular) and people tend to stick with what they started out with. Not that there's anything wrong with there stuff but I had some issues with the low end.

I've found no issues with the quality of the Optic 6. The endless debate rages on.

The best way to buy a transmitter is not to listen to the fanboys (people who obsess over one brand), but rather try them out. Does it's features meet your needs? Does it feel comfortable in your hands? Will you primarily be using it for park fliers or larger planes, or a mix of both? I've had the chance to use Hitec, JR, and Futaba. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. In my opinion, the Hitec Optic 6 is the best general purpose radio since it's cross compatible with both JR and Futaba 72mhz equipment and the Spectra supports the selection of any 72mhz channel without buying separate modules.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I have to disagree. I own 2 hitec radios and i switched from futaba as the one radio i owned did not work well for me. I have an Optic 6 and an Eclipse 7 and they are great radios.

Flyboy76
Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 AM
spiral_72

Good grief, the options are coming in faster than I can research them!

From what I've seen so far, I'm steering toward a JR JSP1600 system as of this moment although the servos are too big (I think). I haven't looked at Hitec just yet and this is the first I've heard of the 2.4Ghz stuff.

I've found a flier that I am hoping will help me out with the in-field stuff. He seems like a very nice guy. He uses JR and Futaba although he's not brand specific. For those interested, I'll keep this post up.

Again, I really appreciate the info.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:28 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

I think you mean JR XP6102. The JSP1600 is really the xp600, a basic entry level computer radio. Of course, if the 100 dollars is limiting you, then it is a great option. However, the xp6102 has much nicer programming, and an easier GUI to do it from. The servos are standard sized. What is the radion going to go in?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Spiral, Lets add to the confusion, go to a computer radio that has more than one model memory. This way you only need one TX and can buy additional RX and servos. 14 planes all flyable on 3 Airtronics Radios.

JIM
Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 AM
taker

The long and the short of it all is all the manufactures make very good radios now.
The best thing to do is to talk to your flying Friends and see what they use.
I think the most common radio manufacture used is Futaba, but there as good as them all.
I use mostly Futaba but also have a Hitec and JR radios as well. I have not had a problem with any of them.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spiral 72, I have always been a Futaba user - just because that's what I had, and it's great stuff.

But I do product reviews, so I got some JR stuff to use when I review Hangar-9 planes (I didn't like using their competitor's radios when reviewing their planes) and I have to say that I like JR every bit as much.

My only complaints about the two companies?

Futaba has those little tabs on their female plugs, so they won't go into any JR equipment unless you grind the tab off (I.E. You can't plug a Futaba servo into a JR extension, but you CAN plug a JR into a Futaba)

And the polarity of the charging jack on JR transmitters is reversed from the way the rest of the world does it - I hate when companies do stuff like that.

Also worth mentioning... I am currently reviewing the new H-9 Raptor PTS which comes with the JR SX600 radio and so far that radio seems like an outstanding value.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 PM
spiral_72

Well, it looks like my findings (such as they are) are:

Spektrum DX7 is every bit a radio that I will (ever?) need. It looks fantastic except the price is way out of my range at the moment at $350 fot the kit.

The Hitec Optic looks nearly as good, with pretty much the same features, but 72Mhz. $210 - $250..... A little pricey (for me) but not out of the question.

Futaba 6EXAS looks pretty nice. basic computer model, multiple aircraft etc for $160-$180

JR JSP1600 radio ditto the Futaba, about $10 cheaper. The XP6102 is out of my price range. I just don't have the money for that.

The Hitec Laser 6 is out of the question. Not computer, single model, etc.

Airtronics has a model that looked pretty nice. I'll have to get the catalog back out and research it.

The radio systems look very similar to each other just as others have mentioned. It really looks like it's gonna come down to price. I'll keep looking.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 PM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Been flying Airtronics 30 plus years, never had a problem or issue that they could not fix. Very helpful people in service.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 PM
jaka

Hi!
JR or Futaba!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:45 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Hey if you're just starting in again after the big hiatus, why not go for the gusto and get a Spektrum and not have to worry about frequency pins and such. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:39 AM
alan0899

ORIGINAL: John Sohm

Hey if you're just starting in again after the big hiatus, why not go for the gusto and get a Spektrum and not have to worry about frequency pins and such. Just a suggestion.
G'day Mate,
Totally agree, PLUS, 20 model memory.
Best thing since sliced bread. IMHO.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just reviewed the Futaba 6EX Spread Spectrum radio and it's a winner
Old 03-24-2007, 12:26 PM
pt19 flyer

hi
futaba is very reliable equipment, don't know about their service policies however. I have 4 futaba outfits some as old as 15 years<on ham bands> and still working. a galaxy which they no longer make still working. however, my last two purchases were the hitec prism 7 and the hitec eclipse 7. been extremely happy with these . had the lcd go out on the prism 7 after about 3 years and hitec replaced it at no charge. to me you can't beat this service.
all my recent servo purchases have been hitec. have 3 of the rcd supreme receiver, 1 slimline, and one 5 channel. been happy with all.

so I don't believe you would be unhappy with the hitec which is the one I would recommend.

good luck and happy flying
pt19 flyer
Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
BojikArc

Hey, I have a question regarding radios, I need to buy a new kit myself. How do the Tactic radios run? I'd like to hear about them before I consider buying.

And as far as radios that work, I've been told a Futaba works well, but I have yet to test that theory.

Make sure you avoid the Guanli radio like the plague, that one is nothing but trouble.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.