Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Good ni-cad?

Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 PM
KI8FR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good ni-cad?

I have a 4.8 rx 800 mA ni-cad battery. I put it on my Hobbico expanded scale voltmeter.It read 5.2v. It has been the meter for 3Hr and now it reads 4.8v. I plane on having it on the meter till it is down to 4.2v and give it a good slow charg at 50 ma for 14hr.

Now is this a good battery? I do know that it is hard to tell but I do not have a cycler. Im just trying to lern on how to do my batteries

Paul
Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Good ni-cad?

sounds good to me but it depends what load was used while discharging.that is what the cycler does.tells you how many mah your battery has and how long you can fly for at the standard discherge rate.least my digipace 3 does.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:55 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

The expanded scale volt meters like your using do put a load on the battery being measured. The problem is that the load is not consistant from manufactures. Even between two meters from the same manufacture. With that said, the load, multiplied by the time equals the mah capacity of the battery. If the 800 mah battery is fully charged, & if the meter pulls a 100 mah load, the it should last close to 8 hours. If the battery only lasts 4 hours at 100 mah discharge, then it only had 400 mah capacity. So it was either not fully charged when hooked up to the meter, or if it was just charged, then the battery needs replaced due to loosing too much of its capacity. I hope this simplified explination helps you understand batterys a little more. Most of the cyclers out on the market have their instructions availible on the internet. See if you can get one of those, there FULL of great info on batterys, charging & discharging.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM
KI8FR

The battery was not at a full charg. It was sitting for 4 weeks or so. And the last time I put a charg on it, it was with a feald charger.
Im not sure if this Hobbico ESV will do 100mah. Not sure on what is will pull.. Im looking on the net to find a book on it but no luck so far. by the time it was down to 4.2v it took 5 hr.

If there is any one that know what this ESV will pull in mah let me know.. the Battery is only 1 year old.. but I know that does not meen a thing. It could have been in the stor for 2 years before I got it..

Thanks for the info..
Paul
Old 03-08-2007, 01:21 AM
KI8FR

I found one. It is saying that it puts a 250mah on it.. if that is true then 5 hr to bring it down is good right..
Paul
Old 03-08-2007, 07:11 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Tellspin, It sounds like you have the digital volt meter. Constant 250 mah draw will be applied to the battery. Depending on who you talk to, listen to, or generaly hear rumors from, the general rule of thumb is this; 1.5-1.6 volts per cell is full charged, & 1.1 volts per cell is discharged. So, a 4 cel pack is discharged at 4.4 volts, & full charged at 6.0-6.4 volts. An 8 cell would be 8.8 discharged, & 12.0-12.8 full charged. Its been said that 1.1 volts per cell is as low as they should be discharged to. lower voltages will deminish the life of the battery & will require replacment earlier than a battery that was not pulled down below 1.1 volts. I have done this since the beginning of my adventure in this hobby, & I know from my 27 years of doing this that my batterys last me about 3-4 years before they get to 75% of there rated capacity. At that point I figure its not worth the risk of my aircraft to get some more time out of it. after all, a battery is alot cheaper than an entire aircraft demolished in a crash.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
aerowoof

buy a cycler it will be easier than using the esv as it will charge afterwards automaticaly then go to trickle after a full charge.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM
KI8FR

just saying buy one is ez to say but being able to buy one is not.........but it would be nice to have one...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Newc

You might get a pretty good deal at Toledo April 14 - 16.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:57 AM
aerowoof

look on ebay they usually go for 10-20 dollars.so you may have to save for it.37 years ago when I was getting into r/c at 15 do you know how many lawns I had to cut to save up for a kraft series 70 4 channel that cost $310 at $5.00/lawn not to mention the plane/engine fuel nicad and charger for the glow plug.flip started the engines back then cause could not afford the new starters and battery just coming out.it a matter of getting the equipment that is really usefull and doing without what can be done by other means
Old 03-10-2007, 01:17 AM
KI8FR

I know what you are talking about.. I got in the hobby in 1983. It took a long time for me to get 1/2 the stuff that I needed. Now I put so much in to the hobby this year that there is just not much left for somethings. I have 7 plans all set to fly this year and 4 that needs things and work... I never had a cycler be for.. Been doing this for 23 years and never needed one. but now with all the stuff we put in a plane that takes up so much mAs that it is a must to have good batterys. I put on allot of $$ for batteris this year and Just do not want to drop the ball...

Thanks for the input
Paul
Old 03-10-2007, 12:17 PM
aerowoof

hi,
I did not think I needed a cyler either but after losing a plane due to a dead rx pack I bought a used one and discovered that some of my packs had developed a memmory problem and the cycler fixed the problem and saved me from buying new batteries that were not needed.It also indicates when it is time to buy new battery packs when the capacity has decreased to an unsafe level