Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fiberglass arrowshaft pushrod question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fiberglass arrowshaft pushrod question

Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Birman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass arrowshaft pushrod question

I went to Dick's Sporting Goods and bought six fiberglass arrowshafts. Now, what is the procedure for installing the 4-40 rods in the ends? I put a piece of 1/4" dowel in my drill press and held sandpaper to it and did test fits until the dowel was just snug in the shaft. I don't really want to glue anything together yet and have it fail in flight. Am I on the right track or is there a tried and true method for doing this?

Thanks,
Larry
Old 03-08-2007, 08:58 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Fiberglass arrowshaft pushrod question

Drill a hole the diameter of your wire toward the end of the arrow shaft. Somewhere around 1.5 inches from the end or so. Then, make an L bend in the wire, and cut the L until it will just slide into the end of the arrow. Then, it should lock into the hole you've drilled. Now, wedge a piece of wood into the hole with some epoxy to secure it all in place. That's all there is to it!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:29 PM
flipstart

I have used arrow shafts a number of time for pushrods, they work great. The method mentioned above will work fine. The last time I bought arrow shafts, I got several of the threaded aluminum inserts that the broadhead screws into. The threaded hole is just slightly larger than a 4-40 threaded rod. I just bent an L in the wire and epoxied it in with L on inside of the insert. Otherwise what you have done is fine, just sandpaper the inside of the arrowshaft for added grip for the epoxy. Some drill a small hole through the arrow shaft and pin the insert in place. One note of interest, there are several diameters of arrow shafts available, so you can pick your diameter to suit the application. I just bought some target arrow shafts that are much smaller in diameter than the hunting shafts for a smaller scale plane.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Kaos Rulz

2slow2matter is on target. Let me also offer that you need to drill the hole in the arrow shaft with a high speed drill/Dremel to prevent the shaft from cracking. Once you have the "L" bend portion of the wire in the drilled hole, epoxy a one inch dowel rod into the end of the arrow shaft to lock everything. The dowel should have a slight groove down one side to accomodate the wire.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Mode One

All as above, with the L-bend in the wire and hole in the side of the arrow shaft. Except I always drilled through the center of the doweling from one end to make a bushing out of the dowel. The wire was inserted in this hole from the end opposite the bend. The bend inserted in the hole in the arrow shaft and the dowling/bushing slid down and into the arrow shaft. This effectively locks the unit together and the glue is only used to hold the dowling/bushing in position in the arrow shaft. The beauty of this set-up is the force is all located within the centerline of the arrow shaft/push-rod ends so no assymetrical loads are inducing bending moments in the set-up. The system is easier shown, than explained. The hardest part is getting the hole through the dowel as close to center-line as possible.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:43 AM
flipstart

There is an old woodworking trick to drilling a hole in center of a dowel. You have to use a drill press. Clamp a scrap 2 X 4 block to drill table. Drill a hole the diameter of dowel all way thru the block. Slip your dowel up thru the hole (it needs to fit tight-I use numbered drills as most of dowels are undersized). Now drill your hole in the dowel with appropriate diameter drill. Its better to chuck your drill bit up short to start the hole so the bit does not wander off center.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Birman

Thanks everyone for all the input. I now know how to proceed.