Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

paint to match ultracote

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

paint to match ultracote

Old 03-10-2007, 12:01 PM
bkyrdflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint to match ultracote

I'm building my first kit plane which is a CG super chipmunk. It's been a joy all the way through, but now I'm getting ready to buy paint for the cowl, wing tips etc... and don't know what is out there that will match the ultracote. I don't have a sprayer so getting something mixed is not an option as of now. Two colors I am using are True Red and Deep Blue. Any ideas ??
Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 PM
reyn3545

Default RE: paint to match ultracote

I went throught he "matching spray paint" horror on a recent biplane recover... wound up sanding it down and re-doing it with an airbrush and PPG Paints Acrylic Enamel automotive paint... it does take a little more money, and it does require some prep work and clean-up of the airbrush after you're done, but you can't beat this stuff for a rock hard mirror like finish. Fuel proof for every kind of fuel, and it was an EASY application... it was my first airbrush job, and frankly, because the paint sprays on a little thicker, it was a lot easier than the spray paints, with not a single run.

Check out http://www.radiosouth.com for details.. they also sell the paints in very small quantities (pints), but you may be able to find it cheaper at your local automotive paint store.... most stores can also do an exact match to just about any piece of covering you bring to them. They may only sell quarts of colors, and you probably only need a few pints, depending on how many colors and how much space you want to cover. RadioSouth gives you a good overview of the paints, primers, catalysts, thinners, etc required, so I just bit the bullet and trusted them... it turned out great!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
bkyrdflyer

Thanks, I may give it a try. From what I have heard auto paint is the best way to go.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might try some latex paint. The paint match system at Home Depot will get your colors real close. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Ultracote makes some paint to match. I have A can of there true red on my shelf right now and I THINK they have the deep blue also. I think I have A can of that in my paint cabinet too. You can do A search and find most of there standard colors but that has been the main problem with the Ultra. I have had paint mixed at auto paint stores and they will put it in A shake can for you, just cost more but it's great paint.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:48 PM
skymortar

i paint cars for a living.if you go that route(it is expensive),nowadays pretty much every paint manufacter has a spectervision which is what home depot has for house paint.if you decide to go with auto paint dont let your jobber screw you.they will give you the price for a pint,which is about 50.00 for red.tell them you need 4 oz..i can paint a fender,door and a bumper with a pint.they read your color with the camera and they can mix any size you want.anything below 4 oz. you risk a color match problem.hope this helps
Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 PM
bkyrdflyer

Well, I'm not going to pay $50.00 for a pint of auto paint. I appreciate the heads up Skymortar. I think I will try to locate some ultracote paint and maybe go to the latex or auto paint as a last resort. Quantum models shows to have the ultracote but when I ordered it they were out. Is this paint discontinued or is the demand greater than production? I couldn't believe Horizon is only showing two colors.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 AM
spuck5644

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT use the UltraCote paint! and YES it is discontinued.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 PM
bkyrdflyer

Oh well, then maybe I will use auto paint. Hopefully I can buy a small enough amount that it won't break me up. Who would think that the most difficult task in building a kit plane would be finding matching colors.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:36 PM
SPLIT S

PPG Shopline Acrylic Enamel - about $17.00 a pint for a bright red,about $12 - $13 for a pint of blue. If you go with PPG Delstar you could double that easily. Smallest amount you can reliably mix and actually make a profit on - 8oz. I'm an automotive paint jobber, and no I don't wake up in the morning wondering how I can "screw" someone.

Dan
www.gocolours.com
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Gray Beard

That's odd, I have been using Top Flite and Ultra cote paint for years. Spuck, what seems to be the problem with Ultra Cote paint?? I just used it {the true red} on the canopy of my newest creation and will be using it this week on the cowl and wheel pants. Two thin coats and one thick coat has always worked for me without any runs or blems. Has it changed or something?? It matches the covering very well too. Just wondering??
Old 03-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Gray Beard

Sorry, I forgot, the Top Flite Yellow is A perfect match for the Ultra Cote Yellow covering. Some of there other paints match up very close too.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:13 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven’t bought the covering yet or can exchange it, the simple solution is to use MonoKote and the matching MonoKote paint. MonoKote is easy to use, creates a super finish and the paint works great.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I too have used True red covering and paint with a perfect match.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71878.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	646247  
Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 PM
bkyrdflyer

I have already covered the plane in Ultracote but Topflight paint might be an option. I do know from experience that Topflight cub yellow paint is a perfect match to Century 21 cub yellow fabric. If I have to experiment with buying different spray cans I might be better off to go ahead and pay for auto paint. I found out today that the local store will mix 8 oz. which is right on target with what Split S is saying.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:58 PM
jbarnes

I just finished a plane with Deep Blue and I can tell you the Ultracote Deep Blue is a perfect match to the covering. Its hard to find the seam where the ultracote meets the paint. I would not hesitate to use the Ultracote paints. Thanks, Jerry.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:58 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Check your local phone book under paint, and let your fingers do the walking. You might have a company nearby that can match the color and put it in an aerosol can. I've gone that route once. I don't remember the price, but I think it was around $10 for a can (large size spray can).

Kerry
Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

You might try Krylon Fusion for plastic to match true-red. No primer needed for plastic.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 PM
chopper man

My deep red paint matches the cover great. On the other hand the white Ultracote does not match. Will top flight paint match ultracote covering?
thanks
chopper man
Old 03-31-2007, 12:48 PM
frank1947

Skymortar, could you advise if auto paint can be brushed on rather than sprayed ? and what is latex paint ? if used is that fuel proof ?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
chopper man

I just sprayed some Rustoleum appliance gloss white on my tail cone for the arrow. It's not completely dry but it looks pretty good. It matches the white Ultracote pretty close. I think I'll try putting a fuel proof clear coat over it in a couple of days.
chopper man
Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM
bkyrdflyer

I found a can of true red and a can of deep blue ultracote paint at a hobby shop down the road so as far as this project goes, I'm set.