Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is it just me

Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 AM
jasonjanise
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me

I was wondering something that I have noticed lately here on RCU. I got away from the hobby for about 2 years and I am getting back into it now. I have been looking at planes here on RCU and it seems to me that some guys asking prices are a little unreal. I am of the understanding that once it is built, flown and the motor run, it is not new no matter how you cut it. Yes, it is in like new condition, but you still built it and the person buying has no idea exactly how good of a builder you are. I know that buying something offline is a chance you take. It just seems funny that when I have talked to guys on here about planes they are selling or about trading my NIB plane for their used one, all of a sudden mine goes down in value and their plane stays the same. Maybe when I sold stuff in the past I was an idiot for not selling everything for exactly what I paid for it, but I just knew that it wasn't new. I just think it's nuts that guys want every single cent back for their investments. If that is the case, I am going to go trade my truck in today and demand the same price on trade in that I paid for it 3 years ago when it was brand new. I am sure they would go for that. New is one thing, but used even once is still used and new not.

Jason
Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Is it just me

Jason.. It's real simple. The seller sells it for what he thinks he can get out of it.... period. If you could get what you paid for your truck three years ago, wouldn't you?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:57 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Jason......

A biggie and hard question to ask about a potential buy, is How many more were built off this design, and do they fly same as? If your purchase is unique, then expect it to fly in an unrefined manner. If it is one of ten or so, did everyone build theirs exactly the same or alter in some way? Perhaps they found that the incidence angle was inadequate, or it needed more square inches in the tail feathers for better control.

Find out about the rest. Otherwise the vendor may be getting rid of a 1/2 way project, just to start on another one, and you are in effect going then to fix any errors in design by being the test pilot. It may look good but many a prototype gets altered even a small bit to fly better.

Wm.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
jasonjanise

Well, in all reality, no one is going to give me what I paid for it 3 years ago. I have seen and talked to so many guys that have bought stuff off of RCU and other sites where the seller list things as perfect or to me the flag is "near perfect". The seller will list it as a "3D monster"or "the best plane I have ever flown" and when the buyer gets it, it needs more work done to it because of someone hinging it wrong or other issues. I was dealing with a guy about a motor (DA 100) and he listed it as in almost new condition. The price was just under what a new one cost. He said that it ran like a top and was in perfect condition. Then after some digging, I found out the plane that it was one was totally destroyed and this guy said it never had a prop strike. Well, it was hard for me to believe that considering the plane was destroyed totally. There are just a lot of little details that guys just happen to let slip their minds when they list things. Then after you buy it and confront them with it you either get no response or the typical "I must have forgot that". So, if you buy something and wind up having to sink a lot to get it to fly the way it was advertised, that is a pretty crappy way to do business with people. I guess the lesson I take from here and why I will never purchase another plane off RCU or any other site is that it is easy for people to pawn off their mistakes on others and then get all they can for it in return. I guess I believe in the old what goes around comes around thing to much.

Jason
Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

On RCU if you feel the equipment was misrepresented give the guy a bad rating. It is not a perfect system and it pays to call and ask questions before making an offer, and prices are probably higher than what you can get at a swap meet. But my experience is the high priced stuff at swap meets doesn't sell. The bigger planes definetly do better on RCU or the internet. If you want new buy new.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:51 AM
jasonjanise

That is my main point. I have bought all new this time around. Before I got out, I bought a few things and sold some on RCU, but I do my best to bring up every issue that I have had with the plane even if it is something that is not that big of a deal to the other guy. I was only saying that there are a lot of things that guys sell as nearly new or in new condition that in fact are not new. Flown only once is not new. No matter how you cut it. Once it has been taken out of the box and built, the new is gone.

Jason
Old 03-11-2007, 02:30 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a mindset lately that some people with the bucks and no time to build and in a hurry to fly will buy a complete setup for any price.I was watching an auction on ebay right before christmas for a ps3.the auction showed the reciept paid of around $700.the bid price with 10 hours to go was over $10,000 that is not a typo ten thousand dollars.you must remember there is asking price then the actual selling price.does not hurt to make a reasonable offer or any offer that you are willing to pay.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:18 PM
RevGQ

You must realize Jason that you are a man with integrity living in a world that is seeking reality in a virtual realm. We hind behind our avitar and screen names hoping others will never know who we truly are. Some of us can sleep well at night knowing our true selves...for those others..well, peace to you.