Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

4 STROKE.... SAITO'S .... FUELS USED

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

4 STROKE.... SAITO'S .... FUELS USED

Old 03-12-2007, 03:07 PM
TeamMuir1
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 STROKE.... SAITO'S .... FUELS USED

OK .. GUYS>>>> I am OLD SCHOOL... but I like to know.. what everyone is doing now...????

ALL of you that run SAITO.... 4 STOKES.... NEW>>> breaking them in .. what fuel and what mixture... RATIO.....
CASTOR / Synthetic BLEND........
FULL SYNTHETIC...........
and what NITRO.... %

REASON I am asking.... we have a small Controversy.. at the field.....
GUYS.. That I know have not been in the hobby as long as me.... talk up the synthetic
THATS GREAT>>.. no problem... I can see after a Motor is broken in ..... SURE run it..
I honestly beleive it is better..... but NOT BREAKING a MOTOR in .... lol
CAR MANUFACTURES.... VOID there warranties...... if it was found out that a customers car was using Full Synthetic.........
So let the FLOOD GATES OPEN.....
and the only reason that I am excluding all other 4 strokes..... WELL I HAVE ALL SAITOS lmao...
and I have 4 new motors...... Now I use .... HELI FUEL in my SAITOS... after they are broken in ... and have been GREAT and lasted a long time........Full Synthetic......... AFTER BROKEN IN >>>>> lol......... LETS HEAR IT.....
Old 03-12-2007, 04:05 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: 4 STROKE.... SAITO'S .... FUELS USED

I have always mixed a break-in fuel for my 4strokes. 20%straight caster/10%nitro. Then only use synthetic (Klotz) 20% with 10% nitro to give a better idle

Cheers.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:09 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I use Power Master 20/20 for everything... 2 stroke... 4 stroke... new... old
Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
gstockton

we have a lot of saito at our field i have 4 we all use 15%wildcat premium xtra with 18% oil never a problem with the fuel use it in my OS and super tiger also
Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
oceansfiftyseven

Powermaster 15% sport fuel. 18% oil 1/3 castor 2/3 synthetic.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM
IronCross

PowerMaster 15 percent sport fuel in all my 4 strokes... I use it for breakin and flying... Never a problem..
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM
BB Modss

My Saito 300 twin gets home mixed fuel,10% with 10% castor and 2% synthetic.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powermaster 10%, sometimes 15%...from day one to......
Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Johnmpa

I mix synthetic 15% nitro with 4 oz of Benol Castor Oil in a 1 gallon container. Works great and is oiled fine. Be careful of getting Castor on the hot muffler, it is a pain to get off.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:55 AM
masonman

Yeah, Not just the muffler. Had an engine i ran on 15% omega, an it was all gumed up pn the inside. That crusty brown junk you get on the muffler an head, was all over the internal parts of the engine.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:10 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
Check out this Saito Site, all the info, you will ever need, & no conflicting information.
http://saito-engines.info/index.html
Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 AM
R/CBOONE72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I RUN MY HELI FULL, CURTIS YOUNGBLOOD 30%. STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOTTLE. MY .91 RUNS GOOD. SOME PEOPLE SAY IT WILL RUIN THE ENGINE BUT IT HAS SO MUCH POWER, I CAN HOVER A PIPER CUP WITH IT AT HALF THROTTLE, 84'' WING, IM NOT SIRE OF WEIGHT. I LOVE IT!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Birman

Wildcat Premimum 10% Extra, 18% oil (80% synthetic & 20% racing castor), also 15% version.

Check this site for all Saito:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...tm.htm#3306814
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
RVM

I've sold a lot of cars for a living. I have never, ever heard, in any shape, form or fashion, of any car manufacturer voiding a warranty for using full synthetic oil from day one of owning a new vehicle. Frankly, as far as the oil we use in our automobiles is concerned, the synthetics are the best, period. 10k - 15k mile oil changes for a decent synthetic vs. 5k - 8k for non-synthetics.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 PM
RVM

Forgot to mention...

I broke in my Saito .91 on 20% nitro, 12% fully synthetic fuel with no problems whatsoever. In fact, I think Saitos run better when put on less than 15% oil. My .91 was smoother and more powerful with the 12% synthetic than it was when I started mixing in 3% Klotz castor (15% total oil).

There are plenty of modelers who run 10% - 12% fully synthetic oil in their Saitos and have zero problems, both in regards to how it runs and longevity.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

I break in AND run my Saitos on 10% - 15% nitro fuel.

A lot of people will say not to use castor with a 4 stroke because it will carbon up the valves. I ALWAYS run about 10% castor in my fuels. I am also from the "old school" and like the protection castor provides in the event of a lean run. My Saito 72 is about 5 years old with at least 4 gallons of fuel through it. Not one bit of trouble and as far as I am able to determine from looking with a mirror and a high power light I only have minimal carboning on the valves (this could easily be from normal use).

Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RVM

I've sold a lot of cars for a living. I have never, ever heard, in any shape, form or fashion, of any car manufacturer voiding a warranty for using full synthetic oil from day one of owning a new vehicle. Frankly, as far as the oil we use in our automobiles is concerned, the synthetics are the best, period. 10k - 15k mile oil changes for a decent synthetic vs. 5k - 8k for non-synthetics.
I just bought a new '07 Sienna; the Toyota dealer told me that synthetic was fine, but it would void the warranty to run 10-15K intervals between changes, even if I changed the filter every 5000. So economically, synthetic didn't make any sense based on that. Besides, we kept our '97 Camry, 267K+ and you don't see the oil level drop on the dipstick between 3500 mile changes, and that is with standard 5W30 oil. What amazes me with the Sienna is that there is NO scheduled transmission maintenance or fluid change.

But I alternate between 15% Cool Power all synthetic and 15% Cool Power 4-stroke (half Castor, half synthetic) in my Saitos (8 of them), and I've never used after-run oil.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:25 AM
RVM

Yes, it will void the warranty to go 15k between oil changes on a Toyota. I sold a bunch of 'em. It will not, however, void the warranty to use synthetics from day one. You just don't get about 95% of the benefit of using a synthetic if you follow the 5k oil change rule. The 5k rule is based on running stock Toyota motor oil and filters. It is to make it easy for non-technical people to get their vehicle maintained without blowing anything up.

You could use your synthetics in the Camry, though at this point it might be a bit late if you've never used them in the engine before. No reason whatsoever to do 3.5k oil changes in the car, unless you're running it really, really hard on really, really dusty roads.

Toyotas are probably the best mass-produced vehicle on the road. Honda being either a close second or a tie for first.

I still love a BMW though.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:25 AM
ag4ever

I have a Camry Hybrid, and have been running synthetis from day 1, mostly because 0w20 is not available in a non-synthetic blend. I have been told the car also shipped from the factory with synthetic also, so not breaking it in with sysnthetic is silly. Heck, the Corvette has been using mobil 1 as the factory fill for the last 15+ years.

Once out of warranty, I plan to extend the oil change interval to 7500 or 10,000 with oil analysis.

I just got my first saito, and plan to buy the locally blended fuel sold for saito/ys engines. I think it is a synthetic/castor 20% oil blend.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:11 PM
RVM

Those Camry hybrids are badass.

If you use Mobil 1 or another high-grade synthetic I'll bet your oil analysis shows you clean up to about 15k miles on that hybrid.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
ag4ever

Right now I am using the toyota synthetic as I am just having them change the oil. I am fairly sure it is made by mobil 1.

I love the car as I am getting almost 40 MPH with it. My average since getting the car is a hand calculated 38.8 MPG, and my driving is 85% highway. If I was to drive the city more, I might get mid to high 40's with it.

If you want to learn more about hybrids checkout greenhybrid.com

They have a great database of real mileage for hybrid cars.

Some of the people there are very commited to the environment, but most are just there to save a bit of gas for various reasons (money, political, environment, or some other reason).

I am sure the oil will stay clean for many miles as the engine hardly ever runs over 2500 rpm.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
telejojo

15% coolpower or 30%
Old 03-14-2007, 10:06 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

kinda funny how a saito forum turned into a automobile forum. HaHA. Well during break in i used wildcat 15% / 18% and after like the second tank wildcat helimix 30% / 18% with 5% castor added
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Wildcat 15% with 18% Castor for my sport planes, Wildcat 30% heli for my performance planes
Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; All this "synthetic vs. petroleum oil" debate is silly. I don't think it's possible to buy a completely synthetic oil. Look at the labels, none of them say that it has 100% synthetic oil, in fact I have never seen any percentages advertised on the can. Al;l the oils I can buy say that they are blended synthetic petroleum, but do not say the percentages. You fellows that think you are using synthetic oil are only using a small percentage on synthetic.

Has anyone seen a properly run test of syn vs petro?

The company I worked for re-powered two logging trucks with new cat 3408 engines, they bought a few barrels of pure synthetic oil, and one of the two engines was ran on it for it's lifetime, about 7000 hours. After the test was over we stripped the engines and examined the bearings, and everything subject to wear. Our findings (and caterpillars) were that there was no measureable difference in the wear of these two engines. We went through the consumption, and dyno tests, and interviewed the drivers, but both trucks had hauled very nearly the same amount over the three years of the test and there was no difference in the engine wear.

Unless synthetic oils have changed since that test was done (they haven't ) I would say that there is no measureable advantage to using synthetic oil over petroleum based oil. I think that the benefit in synthetic oil is that they charge more for it, and their advertising has tried to help people think that they were buying the best for their engines, but the facts don't back that up.

I know that there isn't any synthetic engine oils available for our model airplane engines, and there isn't any petroleum oils available for them either. it's all blends and percentages.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.