Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

new interferance problem, whats up w/that

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

new interferance problem, whats up w/that

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:12 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: new interferance problem, whats up w/that

Sounds like that antenna has BIG bleed of RF noise.......those antennas are POWERFUL....and if they don't have the broadcasting radio working right, it can definitely compete by just trashing the air with bucketfuls of RF noise. I saw a single garbage truck driver crash a couple of planes while he sat there eating his lunch and talking on his radio....we noticed that when he keyed his mike that another plane that was being warmed up went to full throttle and locked up.

Another thing about the 2.4 Gig radios. The receiver that comes with the Spektrum works with the radio right out of the box, but it's real important that you actually go through that "Bind" process, because the radio cannot do everything they say it can do unless that has been done properly. Just like with any new technology, there is a real learning curve that goes along with it. The first time I tried to do the "Bind" thing with mine, my radio and my plane decided that they didn't know each other any more. I had to call the Spektrum Tech Center for tech support. I don't think any radio will ever be entirely immune to hits, but these are designed to sense the hit and change their own channels. That sounds like what might have happened with the 1/4-second glitches you were mentioning each time your friend flew fearlessly close to the repeater antenna of death....

Jim
Old 07-14-2007, 08:23 AM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mainer Jim

I just moved here from R.I. to Perham all the way at the top about 35 miles south of Fort Fairfield which is on the Canada border. The olny good hobby shop is Ray and Robin's but he is about 250 miles back down state. I looked on the web sites for Horizon and GP they list one or two dealers about 100 miles away have to check them out. Only problem there's no one around here that flys. I think the nearest club I found is in Bangor area thats 175 miles. Don't know if there are any flyers in near by Canada? But I just walk out my back door and fly have a 3/4 mile long by 1/4 mile wide field to fly off. Then behind this there is a 700 acre open field no trees some kind of land thing where the land is put aside and can not be used for devlopent. Plus I have no house's around so noise is no problem. At about 5 o'clock the wind stops and it's DEAD calm. Flying the gliders are hard seems there is no lift. Get up 6-800 feet with electric and back down in a few mintues. Heli's, power and electric no problem But flying alone is getting boring, I built some stick and tissue rubber banders just to keep from going nuts. The sun sets here around 8:45 so you get to have 3 1/2 hours flying each night. Jim did you ever go to the fun fly at Point Sebago they had? My first time was 92 and went to all until they ended.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 AM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

Sure let's all jump on the Spectrum band wagon. Why stay with the dedicated 72Mhz band, when you can move to the 2.4Ghz band, and share with garage door openers, microwave communications, radar, microwave ovens, cell phones, ect, ect. Does this seem safer? If you think so, that's your oppinion. I think not. But, to each they'r own. I'll keep my 72Mhz.

Bob
Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

What do you think you're doing with your 72? Do you actually think there are not a million things out there waiting to crash you on 72? At least the 2.4 Gig has the ability to change channels when the hit comes. More lives than a cat. The 72 (which I loved and I'll sell you a really nice JR 783 cheap) has no ability to change to a clear channel when the hit comes. (The sound of taps is playing in the background) So, you'll be staying with your radio, of that I have little doubt.. But you'll be changing planes soon enough, and of that I am certain. The only saving grace is that at least there will be many fewer 72 users at the fields!

Jim
Old 07-15-2007, 03:22 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

So like I said, the band wagon comes along and everyone jumps on. I'll sit back and see how it goes first. All one has to do is read. There are all kinds of horror stories about the new technology. Perhaps waiting for the bugs to get worked out is the best move for now. I know my 9C works, Spectrum? Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking anything, just being cautious.

Bob
Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Before I got the Spektrum I also read the horror stories. I've flown for about 30 years now, and I can relate hundreds of stories guys gave about how their radio failed them, when the REAL interference was between the head and the thumbs. The worst and most detailed horror stories are usually told by the same people who have to have some kind of melodrama going on around them all the time. I could eleminate 95 percent of them by just reading their other posts. It was wind shear. I got locked out. That guy cut me off and I couldn't recover before the ground. I've heard stories that took every ounce of effort I could muster to not burst out laughing. I had a guy at one of the mail-order companies tell me that he had SEVERAL Spektrum failures in a very short time. I was very concerned until I called back about something else and talked to two other guys there who told me that this guy can barely keep a plane in the air and his odds are even on landing or crashing. Their Spektrums were perfect and so was his when they went to test it out afterward. You see, that's why they don't name a radio model "Dumb-Thumbs". I see guys freeze all the time. Back before they had buddy cords, I had the literally elbow several guys in the ribs and then forcibly PRY the Transmitter out of their death-grip when they went into brain overload. Often, too late for the bird. Only to watch them strut around afterward talking about how "It just wasn't there, nothing I could do!"
As far as seeing how it goes, these Spektrums are already out there everywhere, and have been for some time now. There ARE no bugs, at least none supported by any evidence other than the ravings of a few scattered (emphasis on that word, too) reports of dubious integrity.
Here's my take on it; Radio-wise, these Spektrums are no different than the JRs I've been flying for many years, nothing different there except for the 2.4 Gig instead of the 72mHz. The technology was available for adding the ability to keep a clear channel on hand for both the TX and the RX to be able to switch to, so they added that in. NONE of that alarms me or gives me any cause for concern. In fact, half the club I fly with uses them now, and they all report perfect service from them. But the RX resetting itself when the battery voltage drops below 4 volts, that's a real issue to me, although I use 6V battery packs. I have lost 1 plane in 30 years to a bad hit, and I've had some damaged during landings when hits started and I tried to land quickly. I still think it's a good move to use the Spektrums. My JR's still work fine, just like yours does. But I've been through about 4 generations of radios, I flew before the gold bands and still another generation before that. Every generation took getting used to, but every one has been better. Heck, Rubber Ducky antennas were like a new generation all by themselves! The expenditure was worth it to me. So, I'm on the bandwagon, just like the guys who started getting new JR 8103s and 10SX's and yes, even the 9Cs. So, welcome to the NEXT generation of radios. You're more than welcome to wait, and while you wait I'll continue to enjoy this new Spektrum. I promise, if anyting should come up regarding these, I'll freely share the info here. Off into the wild blue!

Jim
Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodney

I do not know where jetranger-RCU got his information but he need to check it out as it is totaly false. I am an electrical engineer and a long time HAM and what he said is impossible.

The basics of the CH 20 harmonics problem

http://www.rchelibase.com/radiofaq/#...nel_20_and_21?