Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Airplane transportation on pick-up truck

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Airplane transportation on pick-up truck

Old 03-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Sargento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airplane transportation on pick-up truck

I need some ideas as to how to transport airplanes in a pick-up truck. I need to travel about 30 miles to the flying field and I cannot fit the wing and fuse in the cab. I am thinking that they will fly away from the back once I hit 70 mph on the highway. Have any you try this before? I could use bungee cords to try to do some sort of tie down between the wing and fuselage, but can't seem to think of a way as to how to secure it on the bed of the truck.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Dan D
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Airplane transportation on pick-up truck

Hi; Open beds are hard , here are some ideas that I can think of after having a pick up most of my life till recently.Go to a furnature or appliance store and get a card board box in the size you need, they throw them out any way, you can securely tie the box to the bed from each side from the openings on top of the sides of the bed, the box can be folded flat for storage at home, this is no cost to you.You can also get a landow (I do not know if I spelled it right) cover they are made of heavy canvas or plastic material, it snaps in place which means drilling holes in the top of the bad for the snaps. Or go with a pick up cap,if you buy alluminun they are light and remove easliy and only clamp in place with special C clamps, this is your best option but the most costly, If you get some furiture pads you can wrap your wing and fuse nicely for no damage . Dan
Old 03-12-2007, 08:24 PM
meaden

Two cargo bars and some bungee cords. The wings and fuselages stay put. I face them forward, nose to the cab. My planes and I go about 10 miles to the field at 70...uh...the speed limit.

If something starts to flutter like an elevator or a rudder you can wedge a thin piece of cardboard in the gap.

Cargo bars like these: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_12114_12114
Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I made a rack out of PVC pipe [3/4"]. Wings down one side with the fuselages facing opposite directions. PVC padded with pipe insulation. One I made for a buddy, we had to pour some sand inside the pipes to weight it down but most do not need it. I've made about 6 different ones. Just use a little imagination. I used one for three years until a drunk killed my Toyota. Email me if you need some ideas.
Fred
Old 03-12-2007, 09:55 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've posted this pic before....got the 'net' from Wal-Mart for $20
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30707.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	641153  
Old 03-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Sargento

Thanks all!!

Very good Ideas, I think I will try a combination of Cargo bars and net for extra security. I will also make some wing covers. The PVC idea is good but i think it will be too bulky and don't have storage space at my house.
As far as the cargo bars I will just use an old shower curtain pole I was about to trash, it is the adjustable kind.

Again thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
lilhachet
My Feedback: (2)

must be a big plane cuz I can get four of my planes in my cab,lol untill I came across a free cap for my truck,
Old 04-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Sargento

Thanks Meaden! I have been using the cargo bars with great success, actually I went to Walmart and purchased a shower curtain rod for $9.50, it is the threaded one so I adjust it to have a very nice fit (the rod I had was too rusted and I decided to trash it)
It works like a charm, I put my plane with the engine towards the cab and the wing just under it secured with bungee cords, the cargo bar holds the plane down very securely, I have has about 5 roundtrips already and have had no problems.
I will be buying another one so that I can also secure all equipment away from the plane. I will consider to purchase a top cover in the future so that I don’t have to worry about rain, or going somewhere else while having the plane on the back..
Again thank you all for the great suggestions.