Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Has anyone built a plane using Gorilla glue only?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Has anyone built a plane using Gorilla glue only?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:18 AM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone built a plane using Gorilla glue only?

I purchased a plane that was hanging from the ceiling in my LHS.
The plane had some dirt in the engine mount area that indicated a very minor crash. The covering job was HORRIBLE. I decided to recover it and stripped all the old covering off.
This is when I discovered that the plane was built with Gorilla glue and white glue but mostly Gorilla glue.
I'm wondering how it will hold up.
Has anyone heard of/or personally built a plane using this glue only?
Construction is strong and light.
This is a .45 size aircraft. I think it is a Slow-Poke or something like that.
Any info will be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Has anyone built a plane using Gorilla glue only?

Hi Sebo,

Personaly I haven't built a plane using only Gorilla glue and I don't know why anyone would. You could probably double the amount of build time using only G glue. Additionaly G glue will complicate the build in certain applications due to it's foaming properties. It could be done but in my opinion it would be more trouble than it's worth.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about it too much as G glue is incredibly strong and almost indestructable once cured. As long as you have the covering off just check your joints and repair as necessary. Then fly with confidence I dont think you will have structural integrity problems due to the use of G glue. Your also not going to stressing out the airframe too much if it is a Slowpoke as they are gental flyers.

When I build I typicly use several adhesives depending on the application and G glue is one of them.

Darren
Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a lot of gorilla glue and trust it as much as any other adhesive (epoxy, aliphatic). I trust CA less than the others, so avoid it. I build mostly large planes.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The others have stated my feelings with the addition I like to use G glue for repairs as much as possible. Along with the strength you also get some shock resistance that doesn't come from CA.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 AM
ag4ever

I just hate the odor and fumes of CA, so I have moved to gorilla glue and yellow wood glue. Most glues will be stronger than the wood they are glued to when fully cured. Yes it does take longer to build, but why rush. The build is half the fun.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gorrilla glue is a very strong adhesive and can be used for building planes. But there is a huge problem that you have to deal with when using it. This glue expands as it cures. If you don't have your assembly properly clamped and braced this expansion can actually "swell" the parts you are gluing them and move them out of proper alignment. As long as you take this into account and secure your work then it shouldn't be an issue.

Ken
Old 03-16-2007, 02:14 PM
ag4ever

That is what the 35 pounds of dive weights, clamps, pins, vices, etc are for.

Most of my building is with yellow glue.

The poly glue is used when I want a bit of gap filling and want the pressure exerted by the expansion.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:45 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to thank everyone for the input. Now all I have to do is recover it and get it ready to fly. I never used Gorilla Glue. Now I just may give it a try. Thanks again. Ron
Old 03-17-2007, 07:42 AM
wylieruneyjr

I use it to glue reglue new ARF,s out of the box around fire wall landing gear wing hold down blocks ect... A little goes along way! I use a syring type applicator. It does foam out about 5 times in size to what you apply. Squeeze all air out of bottle before you cap it-off.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:02 PM
lavarock

I built a Top Flite C182 almost exclusively with gorilla glue. Yes there were some challenges but if you clamp or weight the assemblies properly it will work. The thing I like best about gorilla glue is its sanding ability. This plane required a lot of sheeting. The sheeting joints sanded well. The sandpaper will cut the glue without over cutting the balsa.

Gorilla glue also works very well on almost all types of foam.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 PM
CSI1985

Can you use G-Glue over a 30 min epoxy? I tried to use a 30 min. epoxy to glue the wings of my ARF together but I guess I mixed the epoxy wrong so it didn't cure (I'm new to ARFs). So basically, I want to use G-glue instead. Is that o.k.? And if so, can I use the G-glue over the 30 min epoxy without any prep? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:24 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recomend getting all the old goober stuff cleaned out first. When I join wing halves I woodpecker the joint faces and the dihedral brace, give the whole works a good spritzing with water, smear GG on the joint face and make sure there is pleanty down in the channel for the dihedral brace, clamp, wait.

"Yep...thats how I do it."