Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glues

Old 03-17-2007, 08:25 AM
telejojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glues

What type of glue do you ues on formers,spars, and ribs,thin or thick ca or epoxy?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:51 AM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Glues

For those parts I use an aliphatic resin like a brand such a Titebond. I would use thin CA if the joint is tight and maybe the medium CA occasionally. I would never use epoxy on those parts as I think your adding weight when you don't need to.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:21 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TELEJOJO

What type of glue do you ues on formers,spars, and ribs,thin or thick ca or epoxy?
Opinions and methods vary; I use thin Ca anywhere there is zero gap between pieces to be joined, and the pieces can be clamped together before applying the Ca. If there is a less than perfect match between pieces, or I want to make a small fillet along the seam, I use medium Ca. For sheeting, or when I might need to adjust the fit (albeit very quickly) I use slow Ca (thick). I have accelerator handy when I want to make the fillets, apply the Ca, it will wick into the joint, let it set a few seconds, then hit it with accelerator, the "unwicked" will harden at the seam and make a small fillet. For areas or parts that receive vibration or shock loads (firewalls and landing gear mounts) I only use epoxy, preferably 30 minute.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when building fast I used to use ca thin or thick ,if there was a gab micro ballons or baking soda could be used to fill it then thin ca.but the cost is more than using titebond or elmers plus there are no fumes to make your eyes water.