Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Which 4-Stroke for Sig Senorita?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which 4-Stroke for Sig Senorita?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Oodi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 4-Stroke for Sig Senorita?

I am hoping to begin building a Sig Senorita soon. The original plan was to power it using an older OS 20 2-stroke. But I'd rather use a 4-stroke now. I just found out that the Saito Fa-30 and Saito FA-40 are no longer available, the smallest Saito is a FA-56.

I suspect that a Saito FA-56 would be way overkill for the 20 sized Senorita. Any thoughts on this by anyone who has built a Senorita?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
donkey doctor

Default RE: Which 4-Stroke for Sig Senorita?

Hello; We have a few senorita's at our field, OS surpass 26's provide plenty of power for them, so the OS 30 four stroke would likely do just fine. I have a Saito 30 and think it would be a bit too much for the 'rita. I think you'll be delighted with the 26 fi you can find one.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:47 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Get the .56. I have one. They are light weight, so that won't hurt you. They don't have an enormous amount of power, so don't worry about that either. I have one on a 40 sized cub right now, and it's about perfect. By all accounts, the seniorita is about as big as any modern day 40 sized trainer anyway. They consider the enormous senior a 40 sized. Weight wise, it is, but size wise--it isn't. And all of that bulk equals drag--more motor required.
Get the .56 and don't look back. It's a sweet running little engine.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:30 PM
PiccoLino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Saito .56 on a Sig Senorita? Why? If you are a fan of Saito engines and you want to owe and install one of them in your plane, you'd better pick up a more suitable plane than a Sig Senorita.
A Saito would look like gorgeous on a warbird, for instance. Also a scale trainer, like the Chipmunk or the AT6 Texan, would be a great choice.
Anyway the ARF's market virtually offers everything, all you need is to take a look around.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Oodi

ORIGINAL: PiccoLino

A Saito .56 on a Sig Senorita? Why? If you are a fan of Saito engines and you want to owe and install one of them in your plane, you'd better pick up a more suitable plane than a Sig Senorita.
Because I already have the Senorita kit and no engine for it... because I'd like to use a 4-stroke rather then a 2-stroke. Reading the forums I gather that Saito and OS are both fine engines. Looking at specs, OS engines seem to be much heavier then Saito engines.

There is an OS FS-30. As "donkey doctor" pointed out, it appears to be a suitable choice.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Oodi

I am hoping to begin building a Sig Senorita soon. The original plan was to power it using an older OS 20 2-stroke. But I'd rather use a 4-stroke now. I just found out that the Saito Fa-30 and Saito FA-40 are no longer available, the smallest Saito is a FA-56.

I suspect that a Saito FA-56 would be way overkill for the 20 sized Senorita. Any thoughts on this by anyone who has built a Senorita?
I want to ask, is your landing strip grass or hard surface?

My Senorita, with a tired .25 twostroke, could barely attain lift off speed, when the grass was freshly cut. After the grass grew a bit, the plane would not lift off until the grass was cut.

If you're taking off from a hard-surfaced strip, you might be okay with a .20 of some kind. Otherwise, use the .56 Saito you already have with confidence. Just throttle back to slow flight, once you lift off.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 03-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Oodi

ORIGINAL: Scar
It is a rather rough grass strip. It is also bumpy, being able to take off at fairly short distance is a must.

I have the Senorita kit, but no engine as of yet. I'd like to start building and do it with engine in hand. Somewhat tempted to give up on the Senorita alltogether. Looking at the kit is depressing. Too many sticks - kindling. Kind of wondering if I have the patience. I've seen a couple of Senorita in action. I love the looks of the plane. Even though I don't need another trainer, it is a very pretty plane, IMHO. Seen one on floats, that might become another possibility. I really like the curves of the Sig Rascal. If a Rascal 40 kit was available (only comes as an ARF, AFAIK) I'd be very tempted to trade the Senorita kit for a Rascal kit.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

I have a Senior with a Saito 50. Great for grass take off. I have a seniorita with an OS non Surpass 40. Wouldn't want anything smaller.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:08 AM
bhole74

I have had several Senioritas over the years, I learned to fly on one. The 56 Saito is excellent for a Senior, a buddy has this setup. If nothing else, I would be worried about the nose weight and vibration. Another member at our field has one with and old OS 20 and it flies like a champ, plenty of power, and I'm used to running 25fx's and 32sx's on mine. If you keep it at the recommended weight, the smaller 4-strokes will be just fine, preferably the the OS 30.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 PM
WMB

Don't give up on the build! I built the Senior and was a little overwelmed when I saw the contents of the box. The instructions are excellent and it was the only one at the field. If I were to build the Seniorita, I would use a 30 size four stroke and build as a tailtragger. I have used a 45 Saito on the Senior and it flys fine, just not over powered. I built a second wing with ailerons.
Have fun, MikeB
ORIGINAL: Oodi

ORIGINAL: Scar
It is a rather rough grass strip. It is also bumpy, being able to take off at fairly short distance is a must.

I have the Senorita kit, but no engine as of yet. I'd like to start building and do it with engine in hand. Somewhat tempted to give up on the Senorita alltogether. Looking at the kit is depressing. Too many sticks - kindling. Kind of wondering if I have the patience. I've seen a couple of Senorita in action. I love the looks of the plane. Even though I don't need another trainer, it is a very pretty plane, IMHO. Seen one on floats, that might become another possibility. I really like the curves of the Sig Rascal. If a Rascal 40 kit was available (only comes as an ARF, AFAIK) I'd be very tempted to trade the Senorita kit for a Rascal kit.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 PM
2slow2matter

The Saito .56 is a very light engine for its size, and mine is remarkably smooth when running--either at idle or WOT. Use it. Build the kit. There is nothing to a stick kit. A little patience and time and you'll have something to be proud of!! My suggestion is to quit worrying about the engine--you have that one solved. Now, start worrying about the all important decision--covering scheme. That one always gets me!