Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

building board

Old 03-21-2007, 01:41 PM
cougarfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building board

Has anyone used particle board as a building board?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
PizzaMan
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: building board

Not for very long. It seems flat enough, but it's heavy, and will soon start to sag under it's own weight.

I built a table out of 3/4 ply. Angle iron supports, and an adjustable leg in the middle. When I got the piece, I also had 6 inches cut from each side. I ran that vertically near the edges for support.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Dr1Driver

Only if it's adequately braced. Particle board is bad to sag, swell, and soften in wet conditions or even a slightly damp shop.

I have a 6' oak library table with a solid core door mounted on top. I covered this with ceiling tile then 3/32" cork. It's heavy, doesn't wobble, you can stick pins into it, and it's flat as a spare tire at 2 o'clock in the morning. Attach the tile and cork with contact cement so it's easily replaceable when it becomes "shop worn" from building.

If you're building a table from scratch, I'd begin with 2 x 6 framing. Make sure the boards are dead straight and well cured. Don't buy green or wet wood. Use screws and angle reinforcements at all joints and be sure it's "X" braced across the middle of the top. Make the framing as heavy, flat, and tight as you can. There's no such thing as overkill here. Make the top thick and flat. Use several thinner pieces rather than one thick layer. If your shop is even slightly damp, paint or poly-u all exposed surfaces.

Remember, your plane will only be as true as your building board is. This is no place to cut corners.

Dr.1
Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 PM
lilhachet
My Feedback: (2)

just buy a building board.there only $30.00 dead flat(thats what you want) you can stick pins in it.and will last forever if you take care of it. Great planes makes them, the one I have is 15 years old, still flat and is 16x48 inches.