Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

BUSA Cub (L4) Repair ?? (Tail feathers)

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

BUSA Cub (L4) Repair ?? (Tail feathers)

Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUSA Cub (L4) Repair ?? (Tail feathers)

Hi All,

I'm about to repair a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Cub's tail feathers.

It seems to have been damaged in shipping. A local club mate bought it online, and when he got it home, noticed the H stab 'was loose'. That's when I came in..

The horizontal stab is cracked right down the center. Most of teh wood secureing it in place is also cracked / un secured. (See photos) It also seems to have become unglued from the vert fin as well..

My first instinct is to slather epoxy in the crack, and glue a peice of ply to the underside of teh H stab center section. Then re-glue all the cracks with CA (on the outer skins, between the H stab & vert fin.. The 1/8" balsa is all cracked from the H stab's movements.)

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pb85544.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	647031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38215.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	647032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89872.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	647033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23469.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	647034  
Old 03-22-2007, 04:56 PM
broke_n_bummin

Default RE: BUSA Cub (L4) Repair ?? (Tail feathers)

1/4 scale you can probably get away with epoxy. The weight shouldn't have too much effect. Personally, I would just go ahead and replace the broken framework and braces, and thick CA the sheeting.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Since it is covered, and you don't want to remove the covering to repair it (I don't blame you), you can try this. Push all the pieces into alignment and tack them in place with medium Ca. It will wick into the gaps and hold things in place; a little is all that's needed. Where the H-stab halves meet, lay a piece of 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz. fiberglass cloth cut to fit roughly across the joint; push it in place with something long and thin, like a piece of piano wire or control rod. Now apply more medium Ca to the fiberglass cloth and make sure there is good contact with the wood underneath. The cloth will wick up the Ca and bond to the wood, patching over the broken part. It's a lighter repair than using epoxy, but just as strong. Make sure you have good penetration into the joints on the sticks that make the structure. Now replace and repair the covering. If the plane doesn't have the wire tail braces, make them; the tail on any large scale Cub needs them.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:31 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Cheers!

thanks guys!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

For added piece of mind, maybe some flying wires on the tail. Guess I would go against the grain here, I would disassemble it and do a full up repair. But your solution along with flying wires would probably work just as well.
Edwin
Old 03-26-2007, 02:39 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Edwin
I would disassemble it and do a full up repair. But your solution along with flying wires would probably work just as well.
Edwin
That's what I would do also; I just suggested the repair as an alternative to removing the covering and doing a proper reconstruction. Just from looking at the limited pictures, it's really difficult to determine which is the better path. The wires, if not present, will help support the tail and decrease the likelihood of breakage later.