Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Feul soaked wood???

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Feul soaked wood???

Old 03-23-2007, 09:42 AM
flightcrazed
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feul soaked wood???

O.k. so my dad gave me his Funtana 90, the feul tank was leaking and soaked the whole front end pretty good. How do you get the feul out and dry it out??
Old 03-23-2007, 10:31 AM
rwright142

Default RE: Feul soaked wood???

I have heard of K2R spot remover or kitty litter. Afterwards fuel proof the area in case it happens again. There are several ways to do that and you can do a search here on RCU and find many examples.

Make sure the wood isn't too soft though. You may need to replace it if you feel the slightest concern - just to be safe.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 AM
flightcrazed

Hmm, kitty litter seems like a good thought.... Thanks for the help!!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

K2R is available at most Walmarts and grocery stores It is in the section with laundry detergents. I have been using it for years with great success.
With kitty litter, you will have to mash it into a fine powder. It will not get all of the oil out. The K2R will get every last spot off oil out. You need to find a way to vacuum out the oily K2R out of the fuselage. It will take 2-3 applications to get all of the oil out. Just make sure that you get all of the K2R out of the wood before fuel proffing the wood again. Once the oil is completely gone, you can just blow the rest of the K2R out with compressed air. If you don't get all of the oil and K2R out of the wood, the epoxy, dope or whatever you use for fuel proffing will eventually lift off of the wood.
I even use K2R to pull the oil out of full scale fiberglass cowls when I need to repair them!

Doug
Old 03-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Dsegal

See the thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...m.htm#3012035/ After appying a few applications of cornstarch/alcohol slurry you can then seal the wood with Balsarite.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

you can also hit it with a heat gun. The oil will boil to the top, and you wipe it off. Continue this process until it's all out. But you make it sound like the firewall is fuel soaked. If so, be very careful about not replacing it. If it is even the slightest bit soft, replace it--don't even fool with it.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

The Cat Litter works ! No need to grind it up... Just fill up the compartment and let set a day or two. I get the litter at our local Dollar Store for 3lbs for a buck ! Try it for 1 $ !
Ugo
Old 03-23-2007, 02:40 PM
TCBenson
My Feedback: (14)

Hey Guys,
Corn starch woks well too. Let it sit a few days and then use your vacuum to remove the oily starch.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

K2r will cleam the wood up so good that you can reglue the wood. The thinners will desolve and suck out the oil, it is the only thing I have ever used thatr will really do the job.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Ed Smith

Just to be sure. All of the above remedies will get the oil out of the wood. However it is likely that the fuel has softened the glue holding the firewall in place. You may have to remove the old glue and reglue the firewall.

Ed S
Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 AM
flightcrazed

O.k. Well, I couldn't find any K2R so I ended up replacing the soaked pieces.. Thanks for the suggestions guys!