Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Open Bay Areas

Old 03-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Michel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open Bay Areas

Greetings

I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on sanding open bay areas. The plane is covered in Koveral and has 4 coats of nitrate dope on it . I wish to prepare the finish for the primer and I don t want any fuss on this one . I was going with the 600 grit dry sanding . Any tips would be greatly appriciated

Thanks in advance

Mike [8D]
Old 03-24-2007, 11:27 AM
aerowoof

Default RE: Open Bay Areas

wet sand and use very light pressure
Old 03-24-2007, 01:33 PM
scratchonly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, wet sand; I would use wet and dry 340 grit very carefully around the ribs.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:20 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with wet sanding, and 400 grit is about right. Be careful where the cover falls off the edges of ribs, etc. as that is where you will sand through the fabric if not careful. Just a light scuffing is all that's needed. If you have rougher spots than 400 will take down, not much you can do, or you'll sand through the dope and fabric. The key to a really smooth Koverall finish is surface prep prior to putting the covering on.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Michel

Greetings

Thank-you very much for youre advice . I will be useing 400 , grit wet sand . The problem that I had with my first plane was that it had too much fuss . The first plane the seams , were not so good , with my second , the seams are better , just a slight fuss problem .

Again thank you all

Mike [8D]