Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Nylon bolt question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Nylon bolt question

Old 03-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Test005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nylon bolt question

Will three, 6mm nylon bolts be enough for the landing gear on a 13lbs Extra?
Landing gear should break away in a crash, but the bolts have to be strong enough to support normal landings and the odd bumpy landing.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:38 PM
pumbadog

Default RE: Nylon bolt question

I cartwheeled my Ultra Sport this weekend. My aft wing mounting location saved my nylon wing bolts by giving first and departing the fuselage.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:33 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Test, I'm a firm believer in NOT using nylon bolts on landing gear.

It has been my experience that nylon bolts break too easily. Here's an analogy I recently gave:

Let's say that landings are rated 1 - 10, "One" being a perfect landing on pavement, and a "ten" will rip the gear out (If held in place with steel bolts) but an "8" will break nylon bolts.

Now, out of 50 landings, you get:

10 from 1 to 3
15 from 4 to 5
15 from 6 to 7
9 from 8 to 9
and one "10"

What people tend to forget is that when gear come off, they tumble as the rest of the Fuse rolls over them - usually doing some nasty damage to the underside.

And if you have wheel pants, you can add two severe holes in your wing to that Fuse damage.

With steel bolts, I have one repair to make. True, it ripped the gear plate out, but they can usually be slapped right back in with some epoxy.

But with nylon bolts, you have to do ten big repairs because your gear kept popping off every time you had a rough landing!

To me it's just not worth it.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 AM
Test005

I see what you mean MinnFlyer, perhaps I just go with 3x steel bolts then. Although I have used nylon bolts on two planes before with good result (Never broken on landings, but broke away in deadstick landings on rough ground and the plane was good to go after replacing them).
Old 03-27-2007, 07:58 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Something else to consider is that nylon bolts will weaken over time, even without the affects of mishaps. I always replace the nylon wing bolts that hold my wings on evey year. It's cheap insurance.

Based on that, I would never use nylon bolts on landing gear, regardless of perfect my landings are (which are maybe 1 in 10).

Mike
Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 AM
gbrandt1

Better to rip the landing gear then the bottom of your plane's fuselage.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:51 PM
MinnFlyer

Gary, No it's not, go back and read post#3
Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve been using 4-40 nylon bolts for my gear for decades and it works great. I’ve never had a bolt break or a gear pull out. The bolts are threaded into blind nuts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45319.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	651902  
Old 03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
MinnFlyer

Do you fly on grass or pavement?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:36 PM
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Do you fly on grass or pavement?
Because of the type of aircraft I fly I prefer our club tarmac but have flown from grass at other clubs.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Tired Old Man

Used to fly off pavement with a guy that always used nylon bolts on his landing gear. I have to agree with MinnFlyer. On an average day of flying he broke the bolts trhee time, had to epoxy the gear plate back into the fuse once, and had to tape up the holes in the bottom of the wing every time he broke off the gear. Those were his better landings

Everyone I've seen using nylon bolts for the gear have beat up the bottom of their wings pretty badly at one time or another. Some have ripped off the horizontal stabs when they hooked the gear legs as they passed by. Then again, I've seen near pefect landings where nylon bolts just sheared off because they couldn't handle the weiht of the plane. Another dinged up plane and the owner usually went home and drilled another hole or two in the gear plate for more nylon bolts....

Go with the good stuff, metal screws or bolts, and learn to land properly. Don't use nylon bolts as a crutch.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Rodney

Mounting location plays a big part in how well nylon bolts hold up. If you make sure to mount the landing gear with the nylon bolts as close to the edges of the fuselage as possible, they seem to work okay. If you have the mounting holes closer to the middle (and never put any of the bolts in the center widthwise) the gear will flex away from the fuselage and pop the heads off the nylon bolts.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 AM
rctrax

I have used nylon bolts for landing gear for years and have yet to damage a fuse or wing on breaking the gear away from the fuse, but have saved many repairs in the fusalages.They simply pop off and I put in new bolts and go flying again. If I aquire a plane with steel bolts the first thing I do is to replace them with nylon. In the years I have been using them I have saved many hours of repair work. It is much easier to patch a little covering that might get damaged than to repair the bottom of a fuselage torn out with steel bolts.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Tired Old Man

Amazing!! I haven't ripped off a set of landing gear in the last 3 years or more using steel bolts. Must say something about technique. I believe the point MinnFlyer and myself have been trying to make is that if you really learn how to land and not just drop it in then the gear will remain in place without concern for being torn off.

I could see where you might save a lot of spinners by leaving them off if someone was to always go for nose first landings. If you're tearing off the gear, you're not landing, but crashing.