Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Landing Gear Direction

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Landing Gear Direction

Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Sherpa FE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landing Gear Direction

OK, when mounting a set of formed landing gear, does it matter which way they face? I mean does the flat edge, or the beveled edge face forward?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Landing Gear Direction

Depends on the design. Some are mounted forward, others are mounted rearward. Check the plans or pictures of the plane and match the gear to them.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the flat edge facing forward personally, however I do not think it makes a difference. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-29-2007, 06:52 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

I have experimented with landing gear position on several models. Here are the results of my experiments:

On a trike, if the gear is designed to mount with the flat edge facing forward, then mounting the gear with the flat edge rearward may result in a longer take off roll because the plane has to be going faster to rotate, as it takes more force to rotate.

On a tail dragger, if the gear is desigened to mount with the flat edge facing forward, then mounting the gear with the flat edge rearward may result in nose overs. If the gear is designed to mount with the flat edge facing rearward, then mounting the gear with the flat edge forward may result in a tendancy for the aircraft to bounce on landings.

At least, that is my experience!
Old 03-29-2007, 03:37 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Trikes & taildraggers: I would think you'd want to make the largest triangle possible, better stance & handling.

Taildraggers: I would suspect you'd want the main gear as far forward as possible, to limit the the nose overs..

I like the 'flat' forward..
Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 PM
js3

The gear needs to be in the proper location in relation to the CG and what surface you're using i.e. taking off and landing on grass or concrete/asphalt. For trikes, as mentioned above, having the gear too far back will prevent rotation. For tail draggers, having the main gear too far back results in nose overs. Too far forward and you'll bunny hop down the runway on landing. Not fun. It really is a joy to fly a properly set-up model and just a chore when things aren't right.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Sherpa FE

OK First I appreciate all the helpful advice, let me explain a little more.
I have the proper place to mount the landing gear. However on the formed aluminum landing gear that I have, if I mount the flat edge forward, the wheels will be about 1 1/2 inches further forward than if I mount the landing gear in the exact same place, but with the flat edge facing aft.

So I am not sure that if it changes anything, I guess if I fly it and it doesnt work out I can always just flip it around.

Thanks
Josh
Old 03-30-2007, 10:04 AM
js3

ORIGINAL: Sherpa FE

So I am not sure that if it changes anything, I guess if I fly it and it doesnt work out I can always just flip it around.

Thanks
Josh
Yes, I should have said so in my post. Fly both ways and see which you prefer.

Is the plane a tail dragger? If so, the plane should be fairly easy to tip to its nose with the gear in the proper position. If it is hard to get it to go on its nose, turn the gear around.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:09 PM
da Rock

You don't have to fly it to have a good idea how it's going to work.

It sounds like it's very simple to swap the gear around. So do that, and see how it sits.

If it's a taildragger layout, simply look to see if the wheels are at least close to lined up with the leading edge of the wing when the tail is lifted so the airplane is parallel to the floor. Also, after looking at it, let go of the tail and note how hard it hits. Now, swap the gear around and check it out that way. Now........ all that said........ If it's a taildragger, no matter what you think after doing all that, fly whichever you think is best. And when it acts however it acts on the ground and on takeoffs and landings, you'll have a clue if you can change it for the better by swapping.

If it's a trike gear, when you're checking out the CG location and have it located, look to see that the footprint of the tires are about 15-20 degrees aft of the CG. If they are, you're good to go. If not, then swapping the gear should bring those footprints into that angle. If swapping wouldn't, then use whichever orientation comes the closest and mark another one up for the Chinese. (I built an ARF a couple of months back that had the mains DIRECTLY under the CG with the supplied gear struts. Needless to say, I bent some more appropriate struts before every flying the sucker.)