Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Gyro System in Airplanes

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Gyro System in Airplanes

Old 03-29-2007, 01:02 PM
mschneider2005
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro System in Airplanes

I have a few questions about installing a gyro into an airplane. All the information I can find about gyro setup is for helis.

I want to put a heading lock gyro into a twin engine plane. I figure if one engine quits, the gyro will handle the rudder for me, and give be a better chance of a safe landing. My question is where do I mount it? On the XYZ axis (center of lift) or aft of the CG? If aft, how far aft? I think if it's too far aft, it might be too sensitive. Helis mount it aft, sometimes far aft, of the main shaft. Help!! BTW: what brand and model of gyro should I use?

Your thoughts and/or experience?

Thanks

M
Old 03-29-2007, 01:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Gyro System in Airplanes

You dont want heading lock on an airplane unless you are trying to do torque rolls. Placement is irrelevent but they work best in an area with the least vibration.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:19 PM
gbrandt1
My Feedback: (1)

Try a rhemostat valve. Then adjust it to match the setting on the molex tweeter. This is located on the under-snitch carriage which is part of the unassembly. It should work
Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Location is fairly insignificant. As far as orientation, the gyro will have directions on orientation--they are all a bit different.
Now, for the reason--I don't think you'll be helping yourself out. First off, if you are trying to prevent a snap when one engine shuts down, Rudder alone isn't going to correct that. It's a big factor, but if the engines are at full throttle, and you don't get the throttle back, the plane is going to snap. You'd have to have it turned on all the time for it to be effective. Otherwise, it's just one more thing for you to remember to do when an engine dies. If you have it on all the time, you are going to be fighting it constantly. Some people put them into warbirds and cubs and other hard to handle birds that are tough to keep straight ON THE GROUND. Then, most simply turn them off once they have taken off, and leave them off until the end of the flight. With a twin, one of the inherent risks is a flame out. On mine (I only have experience with one) I've had one flameout. When it occured, I simply killed the other motor with the radio and glided it in. It came in hot, but it will fly again. Much better off than an out of control snap.
Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM
mschneider2005
My Feedback: (34)

Try a rhemostat valve. Then adjust it to match the setting on the molex tweeter. This is located on the under-snitch carriage which is part of the unassembly. It should work
Thanks Gary, I'll try that.