Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Stainless Spinner Nuts?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stainless Spinner Nuts?

Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 AM
gpk9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Spinner Nuts?

New member and new to RC flying. Forgive if this question shows lack of RC experience:

What would be the pros/cons of stainless spinner nuts?

Haven't seen them anywhere, and I have the means to make them on a CNC lathe.

george
Old 03-30-2007, 07:39 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stainless Spinner Nuts?

Weight.
Sometimes people try to add weight by using brass spinner nuts but they are redily available.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

I'm guessing that your considering stainless because you can grab some out of the scrap bin for free. Have done the same thing myself when I worked in a machine shop. I think that the reason you don't see stainless spinner nuts is that aluminum and brass are much easier to machine in this application. The aluminum is light and the brass can be used to add extra nose weight when needed. As such I don't think there has been any call for another material. Go ahead and make your own and post a pic when you finish. Might give others some ideas.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:34 AM
gpk9

ORIGINAL: Darkbird

I'm guessing that your considering stainless because you can grab some out of the scrap bin for free. ...
he he, yes, I could have done that at one time, but I don't work in a machine shop anymore. (sigh) I miss it.

I have a freind who would let me use his manual lathe, and a former customer who might make them cheap if I had a reasonable size order.

Doing them on a CNC lathe would be much faster for the outside profile, and drilling / tapping the bore would be faster on a CNC mill.

BTW, I keep up with metal prices. Stainless has gone WAY up in the past year. Scrap too. Last place I worked started keeping their stainless & aluminum scrap inside the bldg rather than dump it in the outside scrap metal bin.