Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

paints for planes (balsa)

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

paints for planes (balsa)

Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 AM
frank1947

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paints for planes (balsa)

Being in an area where hobby supplies are almost non existant can any one advise me on what paint to use on a balsa sheet model plane ? Availability are acrylic paints (water soluble ) commercial spray paints etc would acrylic work with a plane using a glow engine ie fuel spill, exhaust etc. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: paints for planes (balsa)

I assume you are fiberglassing, and not trying to paint directly on the balsa wood, right? As far as fuel proof paints, nearly any 2 part automotive paint will handle it, as well as the Lusterkote series from Top-Flite. Some of the solid rustoleum colors are also glow fuel proof.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: paints for planes (balsa)

Latex paints are fine for glow planes WITH THE FOLLOWING CAVEATS:

1. The paint MUST be clear coated.

2. The latex must "cure" for a MINIMUM of 10 days before clearcoating.

3. Use a fuel proof clearcoating such as Lustercrap clear or Ultracote clear. Water base polyurethane is FUEL RESISTANT (Minwax Polycrylic ). If you use a water base poly let the poly dry for a MINIMUM of 7 days before exposing to fuel residue and do not let the residue remain on the finish for longer than 4 hours. At about 4 hours the poly begins to soften up.

If you decide to use an ACRYLIC CLEAR ENAMEL for clear coating do a test panel FIRST. Check the clear coat for raw fuel resistance, then expose it to the exhaust of a running engine for several minutes, let it sit for a few hours, THEN clean it. You will know right away if it is fuel proof.

SOME of the Rustoleum paints are fuel proof, however I am not sure which ones.

The MAJORITY of ACRYLIC automotive enamels (spray cans) are fuel proof, HOWEVER DO A TEST PANEL FIRST.