Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

favorite (glow) fuel line?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

favorite (glow) fuel line?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Smackdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default favorite (glow) fuel line?

I can't get Prather line anymore. Dubro is just a little soft and doesn't hold as tight as Prather. Anyone know of a superior fuel line that really holds tight. I mostly use medium size line. I don't care if it comes in pretty colors.......

thanks,
Smackdown
Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 PM
octanehuffer

Default RE: favorite (glow) fuel line?

I havent used a glow fuel tube that has been different than another. They are all made of silicone. Some have a thicker wall, but that will only give better abrasion resistance.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had a problem with DuBro.....maybe Great Planes (who probably get it from Du-Bro<g>)
Old 04-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Flying freak

To be honest i dont evan know what kinda i use (i just walk into the hobyy shop and ask for however much i need in eather clear or blue (blue - vent / clear-carb) he cuts me a peice what ever legnth i need and im on my way so i dont know all the hobby shops around here do that and i have never had a problem with any fuel tubbing...
Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
flipstart

Wonder what happened to Prather and their medium fuel line?? Theirs had to be one of the most popular brands?? Great Planes is too soft, slips off the fittings, but the wild colored type that RC car guys use seems to work ok. Hot pink for carb and wild yellow for muffler.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
sowega flyer

I lucked up and found a 30 foot spool of Prather medium line the first time I visited a not-so-LHS. I snapped it up for 20 bucks. I had been buying the 3 foot packages but they were getting harder to find when I walked up on this deal. Hopefully this will last a while.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Hossfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Smackdown

I can't get Prather line anymore. Dubro is just a little soft and doesn't hold as tight as Prather. Anyone know of a superior fuel line that really holds tight. I mostly use medium size line. I don't care if it comes in pretty colors.......

thanks,
Smackdown
The red is the best. the blue is the quickest/easiest to crack.

If you want the TIGHTEST over time -- not very good for INSIDE the tank -- and you can't see the fuel, but the best ever fuel line for glow-plug use is right there in your auto parts store and very cheap -- simple plain old black neoprene (sp?) black rubber-like stuff for the car hoses under the hood. May need changing every 2-3 years if you fly a lot.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Smackdown

Hello group,

I did a little research and found that Aerotrend fuel line is similiar to the Prather. Both a little stiffer and better holding. The Aerotrend rep told me that they actually make their fuel line for the major car makers (real cars,-GM, etc.) and hobby was a sideline for their product. That is why it is hard to get sometimes; a big order comes in from a car maker and there is nothing left over for the hobby guys. He said he thought Prather was selling fuel line to the car makers as well. Prather is out of business now. (Don't ask me why Prather would go out of business if demand is strong...maybe their other products sunk them!!) The rep also said that overall demand is so strong they are trying to greatly increase their production. He said I should be able to get a roll of Aerotrend medium in about 5 weeks. Now, Dubro ain't bad, I just prefer something like Prather.

Smackdown
Old 04-07-2007, 10:28 AM
sowega flyer

Thanks for that info, Smackdown. When my spool starts getting low- I'll know where to look. One question I have is- Did Prather actually manufacture their own fuel line?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Smackdown

You know, I should of asked if Prather made their own fuel line. However, the rep did tell me that Prather sold more fuel line overall than everyone else combined. That struck me as odd, since I hadn't even heard of Prather until a few years ago. I thought Dubro and Great Planes were the only stuff available, and it was all I ever saw at the LHS. I wonder who makes their fuel line? What else is out there that I don't know about?!!!LOL

BTW, the poster that said the neoprene auto line works well is right. When they make it for the auto industry, which is the bulk of their business, they make it in black. Just as good as our hobby line, but in opaque black.

Another thought. I know that the reason we even have nitro available to put in our fuel is that the racers and some industries need it, and I think only a couple companies make nitro at all. We hobbyists are very dependent on other the needs of other industries for some of the products we use.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:35 AM
sowega flyer

I've got some good news and some bad news-
First the good news;
I found some medium size Prather fuel line and the guy has 94 30 foot rolls of it in stock!

Now for the bad news; It will cost you 41.05 per roll
[X(]

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prather-7080-30-...QQcmdZViewItem

Jason