Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Up elevator action

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Up elevator action

Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 AM
poppy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up elevator action

Here is a question that I am a little uncertain about. If a plane is flying straight (neither climbing or decending) and the speed is held constant, if you put in some up elevator and keep that constant, it is my understanding that the plane will CLIMB and go SLOWER. Is this correct? If so, will it continue to climb and at the same slower speed? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Poppy2
Old 04-05-2007, 12:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Up elevator action

No, it will continue to slow down, just as pointing the nose down will cause it to continually speed up - at least till it hits the ground
Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 PM
beepee

Too many variables for a specific answer. If it has sufficient energy it will slow some, but carry on into and through a loop. If it does not, it will climb for a while, slow, and ultimately stall.

Bedford
Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throtle controls altitude elevator controls speed,full size aircraft rule that applies to models.while you can climp with the addition of elevator at the same throtle setting it also slows the plane down and the climb will stop.we are not talking about overpowered planes with unlimitted vertical performance here.set your plane at half throtlle trimmed foe level flight try it yourself or consider how a proper landing is down.power is cut to desend and not to increase speed by adding down elevator.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:00 PM
poppy2

Thank you all for the fast reply. Maybe if I am a little more specific it may help a little better. Lets say that I am flying my trainer plane straight and level at 1/2 throttle speed. The speed is constant. What will happen if I give it just a bit of up elevator? Nothing radical. I know that this is probably a small thing to you all that have been flying for a long time but I haven't and I really want to understand what happens when I make a change on a control surface. Thanks again.

Poppy2
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 PM
poppy2

Aerowoof-

My last reply was before seeing your post. So if the plane slows down does it seek another level flight at a slower speed?

Poppy2
Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

If you're flying along straight and level, constant speed and you add up elevator your plane's going to go up but slow down some unless you add more throttle or change other inputs. Not sure though what you're getting at or trying to determine.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:39 PM
poppy2

Thanks everyone for your help. I want to know what happens or what to expect when I give an input. I feel the better I can understand what is going to happen before I do something, the better I will be able to fly my plane. It is just my nature to ask a lot of questions. Again, thanks all for you help.

Poppy2
Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 PM
rclement

Are you expecting to fly it on your own? If so I would strongly suggest getting an instructor or else crash.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:46 PM
poppy2

rclement-

Thank you for your concern. I have been flying now for little over a year and belong to a great club. So far I have had no major problems. Again, I prefer to try to understand what the plane will do with different inputs, rather than learning the hard way, what did I do wrong. Not that I won't have any problems. Again, as I said before, my nature is to ask a lot of questions. Thanks all for the replys.

Poppy2
Old 04-05-2007, 06:55 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok this is what will happen per your scenario.the plane will begin to climb and slow down at the same time at some point if the control input is held the plane will slow enough and stall if too much up was added otherwise you continue to gain altitude but your airspedd has decreased.again you control airspeed with the elevtor to go fast you give down elevator to go slow you give up elevator to gain altitude you increase rpm.fly a sailplane with out the engine and see how you maintain airpeed.altitude is gained with the help of thermals not up elevator
Old 04-06-2007, 02:46 PM
2slow2matter

Assuming you don't give it enough elevator to stall it, then it will climb until it slows down enough that it can't climb anymore. At that point, it should fly at a new level, higher altitude, but with a slightly nose up atittude, and therefore a slower speed than before. If you want to to speed up to the original speed, and stay at the same altitude, then you'll have to release the elevator--therefore pointing the nose back down. Assuming the nose doesn't break over horizontal, then the plane will continue on that course, but gain speed. Point the nose down slightly, and it will begin to descend, and gain kinetic energy. If you leave the throttle alone, the plane will gain speed until one of two things happen--A), you hit the ground, or B), the plane gets fast enough that the lift of the wing won't allow it to descend anymore at that attitude. Now, you are at a lower altitude before, but flying faster, and with a slightly nose down attitude. Release the elvator (effectively giving Up elevator), and the plane will slow down, and maintain the new, lower course. I hope that makes sense. Remember, there are a ton of things that affect what you are talking about--not the least of which is wind direction and speed. But, in a perfect world........
(which we do not live in!)
Old 04-07-2007, 08:01 AM
poppy2

2slow2matter-

Thank you so much for the information. That is exactly what I was wanting to know. You could not have said it any clearer. Make a copy of that post so that in the event some one else asks, you will have the clearest answer you could possibly give.

Poppy2
Old 04-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Tired Old Man

The plane will begin to climb. As the plane climbs it will slow. The plane will continue to climb and comtinue to slow until it can do neither any longer. At which point it will enter a stall. The severity of the stall and the aircraft's responses are an unknown. There is no possible way an aircraft, at middle power settings, will continue to happily climb with up elevator until it reaches a point of equilibrium and resumes continuous level flight at a slower speed, while still maintaining the same amount of up elevator.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:21 PM
2slow2matter

The airplane will only stall if it's AOA is too severe. Otherwise, the plane will respond as I have described above. I am assuming that by "very little" elevator, he is not going to create an AOA that would induce a stall...
One will never experience the elevator controls speed and throttle controls altitude, unless the plane is trimmed to fly S/L at 1/2 throttle. A lot of people trim their plane to fly S/L at close to, or at WOT. In that case, you can not visualize what I and others are telling you...
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM
rclement

I'm glad you got the answers you were looking for. I wasn't sure where you coming from.