Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dropped radio!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM
NCIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped radio!

Question!

I was taking my new Futaba 7CAP PM/PCM styrafoam box out of the radio box and it slipped out of my hand. It fell about a foot onto the concrete floor in my shop. It landed on the face of the radio. There aren't any sratches and everything is OK from what I can see. I'm wondering if I need to send it in for it to be checked over. What do you think?[]

Thanks for replies,

Gibbs

Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Dropped radio!

Hook it up and see if everything works, make sure the gimbals weren't damaged. range check a plane and see if you get good response. If you have an old beater, fly it.

OR............. send it back and have it checked out.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:59 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its new I would send it to futaba for a check while it is under warrantty should only take a week to 10 days.I would be worried about the plastic housings on the gimbals.My young son dropped my 6vh off a shelf 2 foot high onto a carpeted floor broke sonmething inside the stick assemblies and the screw post that hold the 2 case halves together.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I sent a radio in every time I dropped it I'd never get to fly

Like khodges said, give it a good going-over and test it out. If you're still getting bad vibes, send it in for your own piece of mind. Otherwise, fly it
Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

I dropped my Futaba 9C once from a couple of feet. Didn't hurt it all. I crash just as many planes as before.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:26 PM
NCIS

Thanks for the replies!

It seems OK close up but I'm not going out in 27 degree weather to range check it. I'll make sure I do that before I even go the flying field. I range check my radio every day before the first flight on each plane I am ready to fly anyway.

Gibbs
Old 04-08-2007, 05:34 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be pessimistic or anything, a range check will not detect an intermittent problem which is what you may get from dropped electronics.

How much do you value your airplane? Personally, I'd send it in for a complete check. Of course I have hundreds of hours of construction time in my planes. If you do send it out, it'll come back pretty quick. And if it's 27 degrees out it sounds like a couple of weeks of missed flying isn't that bad.

Dave