Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Setting up airplane rudder gyro

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:20 AM
rhagen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up airplane rudder gyro

Guys, I need some basic info on gyros since I have no experience with them.

My goldberg cub is a handfull to keep straight on takeoff, so I bought a gyro to put on the rudder. The one I got (EFlite G90) is remotely controllable from the transmitter and will do rate mode or heading lock mode.

Which is which? In one mode if I swing the tail the rudder will deflect, but quickly go back straight, is that rate mode? In the other mode if I swing the tail the rudder deflects and stays that way, sounds like heading lock?

Which mode do I want to keep it tracking straight on takeoff? I'm guessing it's the 2nd mode I described above (guessing that's heading lock mode) because if the tail swings I want rudder to be applied until it gets the plane back straight.

I plan to only use on takeoffs (and maybe on landings).

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Setting up airplane rudder gyro

I have a Goldberg cub clipped wing . I have the wheels slighty towed in , which helps with the ground handling.
I flew my GP Piper Cub .20 before I had finished the Goldberg . The .20 is probably one of the worst ground handling planes you can build . I went to a place where I had several 100 yards of wide open mowed grass and ran the Cub .20 on the ground till I had learned to control it pretty good. But it took serveral hours of practice.
Not only could I handle the Cub better , my skills greatly improved , just by praticing on the ground, my rudder thumb was`nt soo dumb anymore . lol
With my Goldberg , takes offs are very easy, as long as I roll into the throttle . Crosswinds are more of a handful and being a fairly new pilot, I try to take off into the wind , and save the crosswind praticing for my trainer . It repairs easier.
IMHO , you`ll be a better pilot if you learn to fly without a gyro . and Cub should`nt need one and it may make things worst than better.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:50 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

set it on the work bench and use the left stick.....

as for your question.... I'm not sure as there are airplane gyros and heli gyros and the G90 is a heli gyro.....

so I really don't know how it would work in an airplane.......
Old 04-07-2007, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Use rate mode, thats the mode that returns to center. Messing with heading lock mode on a plane is a bad idea.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:06 PM
KingCobra2

Tell me more about this Gyro set-up.!!!!!!!!!!!!!![X(]
Old 04-07-2007, 05:15 PM
rhagen

At least barracudahockey addressed the question without unasked for opinions...
Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Your second statement said more than your first statement did, and indicates you just need practice on the rudder, and a Cub is a great plane to teach you how to use one. Gyro on a rudder is sure to help it track like you want, but won't teach you a thing about how to do it yourself. Sort of like buying a trainer and trying to learn how to fly it by watching someone else do it for you.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:13 AM
rhagen

You know what, forget I asked. I can fly the plane fine, I know how to use the rudder, I just don't fly this particular plane often enough to have mastered it's nasty ground handling. This plane is over 25 years old and I don't want to be the one to bang it up. I don't need to be lectured, I just asked a basic question. Thank you to those that addressed it.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if my post offended you . It was not my intentions to do so. I have the same plane and thought my input was appropriate, as I had run into the same problem.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 PM
KingCobra2

I'm learning something new, thanx, Scott
Old 04-09-2007, 06:26 AM
beepee

rhagen,

I will take the gyro if you don't want it. I had the same problem on a short coupled bipe and found the gyro for ground handling a great benefit. As said above, use the rate function, which is the one when the rudder returns to center after you swing the tail to one side. It is good that you can control it with the Tx as they screw up general flight. I have mine coupled to the landing gear switch.

Enjoy it!

Bedford
Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM
choppercopper
My Feedback: (1)

Where on the Aircraft would you actually position the gyro? Near the CG or well aft in the tail?

Cheers Roger
Australia.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Broken

I would put it near cg. Just wrap it in foam and secure it well. You will be able to control it from your tx so I would use it on a switch with the following settings.

'Switch on' with rate mode set to 70-80% gain. 'Switch off' gain set at 5% to effectively turn off gyro. In case in flight flutter or wagging is observed. Do not use or let tail lock activate. That is asking for trouble.

To others saying loose the gyro etc.. This will not negate the need to use the rudder but will reduce the violent snaps caused by high P-factor. Some models may need this depending on engine, prop, plane, weight ground angle, gear placement, and several other factors. So before you condemn someone for using a gyro be considerate enough to ask questions.

All of my models are tail draggers and one of them is completely unmanageable on the ground. The scale location of the gear is not a good setup for the model. But I want it to be scale. After a gyro was installed it is a dream to takeoff and land. It requires as much corrective input as my large warbirds even with a gyro but it is much more manageable than before.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
beepee

I agree with Broken, locate the gyro near CG and be sure to position it to act on yaw. For mine, that meant standing it upright. Being near CG will subject it to the least vibration. One querk of mine I hope you don't suffer: neutral point is different every new day at the field. As a part of first flight inspection I have to turn the gyro on and off and reposition neutral so that the rudder stays put when switching. To accommodate this challenge, I have it positioned at about the pilot's upper chest in the airplane's open cockpit. Makes the adjustment easy. Look closely at the attached photo. You can see the gyro. It is mounted on a spung-rubber base to reduce vibes.

Mine is not like that described by Broken. Mine is either on or off. One gain setting when on (mine at 100% and it is still of limited input), and it is completely by-passed when off. Set up works fine.

Have fun! But, I will still take it.

Bedford
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48019.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	661341  
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
KingCobra2

Broken:

I remain open on the subject of using Gyros on airplanes. It is just that I have been in RC planes for years and never heard of using a Gyro on airplanes until now. I have been told> Leave them to the HELIS and others told me GYROS are NOT for airplanes and won't work on airplanes[X(]. I am open to learning something new and if the gyro is a benefit to eliminating flutter and tail wag, etc. and make landings smoother, then I am willing to try it for myself. This gyro must be something that RC plane flyers took from the heli flyers. Now you can understand my earlier statements. I am surely getting educated and apologize for not knowing the gyro deal of nowadays. I would like the question answered then, that the thread starter asked. I would also like to get info on a site that sells the gyro for airplanes. Thanx for educating me on this. Scott.

ORIGINAL: Broken

To others saying loose the gyro etc.. This will not negate the need to use the rudder but will reduce the violent snaps caused by high P-factor. Some models may need this depending on engine, prop, plane, weight ground angle, gear placement, and several other factors. So before you condemn someone for using a gyro be considerate enough to ask questions.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:13 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Its nothing new, infact Futaba had a multi axis gyro for airplane use that would do both elevator and rudder but its been discontinued.

I threw one in a Funtana since I had one on my bench out of a helicopter that I'd sold. It was nice to be able to slam full power from a standing start and watch it track straight down the center of the runway. The airplane pilots were impressed (I didnt mention the use of a gyro ) the helicopter pilots snickered. As for hovering or torque rolls, to be honest it was a bit of a disappontment and I found I could do them as well without it after a little dedicated practice.

Two things are bringing the subject up more these days that years ago, first is 3D flying is all the rage now and 2nd the damn Yak in real flight with a gyro gives a false impression of effortless torque rolls and high alpha flight.