Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

engine power

Old 04-07-2007, 08:39 AM
skc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine power

I haven't flown in about 8 months due to moving. I'm now ready to get back in the game. I have noticed a significant loss of power on my 4 stroke Saito 72. it seems to have lost compression. I suspect the long time without use has caused this. How do i correct it? What about my 2 stroke engines? do I need to do anything to get them back up to par?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 AM
WCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine power

Might be a valve stuck open. They will do that sometimes after sitting for a long time.Lube the rockers arms good with some after run oil such as air tool oil or Marvel Mystery Oil and a few drops down the push rod tubes.
Sometimes just turning the engine through the compression stroke a few times will free it up. If not tap on the rocker arm while turning the engine over with the prop till the stuck valve starts working again. You should then notice a marked improvement in the compression. If not check the push rods and make sure they are seated. Check the valve clearance while the covers are off. You should always use some kind of after run oil on the engine valves, push rods and crankcase (bearings) before storing it for extended periods.
On the 2 stroke I'd take the plug out and put a few drops of oil in the cylinder before turning the prop.

WCB
Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: engine power

Not sure if the engines were pickled befor you quit flying, however the 2 strokes should be fine. They may be a little stiff when you turn them but that can be fixed with some after run oil or Marvel Mystery Oil. Just put a few drops in the carb and a few in the glow plug hole and then safely prop the engine over. If you are not going to use these engines soon, you may want to consider putting them in a seal tight baggie after you have oiled them. As for the 4 stroke, sounds like maybe a valve is stuck. You can remove the valve cover and check them out. They may also need to be adjusted and Saito includes the adjusting tools and instructions with thier engines. Once again, pickle them with oil if they are going to be stored. Good Luck, Dave