Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great plains RV-4

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great plains RV-4

Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM
masonman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great plains RV-4

I am in the mood to look for a new sport type plane. The rv-4 looks like it may be a nice model. Has anyone had any experience with one of these? an if so, are the flaps really needed?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Penuts

Default RE: Great plains RV-4

I've heard some good comments about the RV-4 and they claim the flaps really work good.
Infact im building one myself now, gonna put a 70 surpass in it, tight but it will fit.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 AM
masonman

Thats awsome nuts. Keep me posted..Is yours the 45 inch or the 70 inch?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:05 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I built one two years ago. I have a Magnum .46 2 stroke and installed the flaps. Flys great! Wing tips, cowl and wheel pants are vacuum formed ABS and are poor. The landing gear is soft. Built mine with all kit materials used the ABS cowl and wheel pants and reinforced them with glass. Builds into a very nice model. As for the ABS parts, the kit is a very good value and I can not expect fiberglass for the price GP is selling the kit for. I highly recommend the kit.

JEB
Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Birman

Are you talking about the 40 size or the 1/4 scale size? The 1/4 scale is awsome.
Birman
Old 04-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Penuts

I'am building the 40 size, 54 inch wing span,The kit is very nice for die cut parts,no problem there.I don't care for the ABS cowl and pants but for 99 bucks you cant expect fiberglass.
anyways the plane is going together very well, GO FOR IT.
and good luck.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 PM
masonman

Is it a speedster? What does it compare to as in the way it handles?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:09 AM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: masonman

Is it a speedster? What does it compare to as in the way it handles?
You all are missing out on how an RV-4 can really fly. I have a 1/4 scale powered with a DA-50... There's not much out there that can touch it in speed or conventional aerobatics. Convert the flaps to ailerons and it will do good 3D.
[link=http://tech.flygsw.org/rv4review.htm]1/4 scale RV-4 Gasser[/link]
Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
GRANT ED

I built the 40 size kit. Its an excellent model. The handling is very good. In fact my RV is my windy weather plane. Its so easy to control in high winds. The overall flight characteristics are very good with no nasty surprices. IMO the flaps are a must. They really help on landing and they look really cool. I used a TT46 in mine with a slimline muffler. This is a good combo, might be a bit underpowered with a 40. The ABS parts are a bit of a pain but once they are done then they look pretty good.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:16 AM
mfuess

I built the same plane years ago. Yes, the ABS was terrible but it worked OK. I didn't find the flaps to be needed but they were fun to use and I used them a lot. My little RV was powered with an OS 91 two stroke. My Quarter Scale RV-4 is actually easier to fly even with that big DA-50 gasser hung on the front! I'd really like to see GP come out with a 1/3rd scale...

My quarter scale RV-4 has flown in winds up to 35 MPH and it's rock solid. It's one of my best CROSS-WIND airplanes.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:20 AM
eniac

I built one last year, maiden flight was Jan 8th 2007, and it still flies like a dream, truly my favorite plane. Its now handled rain, snow, all the windy days and all the cramped rogue fields I've tried it in. After about 30 air-hours, I burned up my RCV58, so its now engineless. I think I let it lean a bit much when the fuel filter got clogged up...anyhow, I need a new engine for her.

The flaps are a must, it just makes everything gentler on the landings. The gear is a bit soft, but I'm still on the same provided set, I thank the flaps. The ABS parts are a bit of a pain, I handcarved the tips and just made do with the cowl. It took about a week of bondo, sand, bondo, sand until it was smoothed out. I fly from crappy fields so I skipped the wheel pants, and I think I'd just get the fiber sets for it anyhow, its the plane is too good for the ABS stuff.

I wish GP would come out with a 1/4 scale RV4 kit, I like to build, and I have so much pride in this rugged little bird I want to build a bigger one. The thing feels stiff even in the windiest conditions, and I have been able to get into the air and have fun on 25-30mph wind days, I don't know of any other model that would have allowed me to get away with that, and still slow down to land on a baseball diamond.

Anyhow, favorite bird, please build it, just so you have a handy, compact appliance like airplane. Fuel and go regardless of the weather, and still slow down gently for a nice scale landing.

eniac
Old 08-26-2007, 02:41 PM
scratchonly

Built a RV3 last winter 62" 9 1/2 lbs, Saito 91; it is my best flying plane. Carefull with the flaps, if lowered at cruise speed the ailerons lose a lot of effectiveness. Good luck, you will have fun, flies inverted with very little elevator control.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
BETTERRCBUILDER

THE GREAT PLANES RV 4 1/4 SCALE IS A FANTASTIC ARF FLYS GREAT ON A OS 91 FSll IT COMES IN A HUGE BOX AND THE ONLY PROBLEM WAS THAT THE WING TUBE CAME OUT OF ITS PLACE IN THE BOX AND DINGED THE CANOPY UP ...A CALL TO GREAT PLANES AND I GOT A NEW ONE SENT OUT NO QUESTIONS! I WOULD RECOMEND THAT THE 2 ELEVATOR PUSHRODS NOT ONLY BE SECURED TOGEATHER WITH 2 WEEL COLLERS AS INSTRUCTED IN MANUAL BUT THAT YOU ALSO WRAP THE RODS WITH COPPER WIRE AND HIT IT WITH SOME SILVER SOLDER.AND DONT FORGET THE GREAT PLANES 1/4 PILOT BUST,IT LOOKS AWESOME AND,ALL PLANES NEED A PILOT.I WENT WITH THE BLUE CIVILIAN PILOT AND HE LOOKS GREAT! ANOTHER WINNER FROM GREAT PLANES ..DONT MISS OUT GUYS AND GALS GET ONE OF THESE BEFORE THERE GONE YOU WILL NOT BE SORY!! AND PLEASE USE THE FLAPS....AS FLAPS. MIX IN SOME DOWN ELEVATOR WHEN YOU DROP THE FLAPS AND PLAY WITH IT A LITTLE A FEW MISTAKES HIGH ,BEFORE YOU DROP THEM FOR A LANDING. IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED FLAPS ASK FOR SOME ASSISTANCE FROM A PILOT THAT HAS THEY LOOK AWESOME AND SLOW THE PLANE DOWN VERY NICELY!!!!!! HAVE FUN!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
BETTERRCBUILDER

OH YEA.....YOUR GOING TO WANT A REMOTE GLOW IGNITER FOR THIS BABY ,,,,,,,NO DONT HACK UP THAT SWEET COWL..DONT!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
yes they are great flyers redid the colors we are trying are hand in formation flying once we get it we will add smoke heres ares ,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12424.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1491983  
Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Rye, those are two fantastic looking planes, especially the black and gold and white one. What did you cover that wing with or is it painted?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hey thanks
it is painted frist time i ever did it learn a lot like the right kind of mast tape and weather really inportant tops turn out great bottom was done in humid day and wouldnt gloss up but ok anyway just make sure coving is tide before painting and at the feild just hang lite towels over the wings so the sun dont winkle the covering when its just sitting thanks again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24216.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1493641