Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber vs plywood

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Carbon Fiber vs plywood

Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Han2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber vs plywood

Hello,

I'm wondering if there are people out there that have worked with carbon plate. I'm building an A-10 that I know is going to be tail heavy and the plans call for 1/8th inch plywood bulkheads/cross-sections in the fuselage. As well as 1/8th inch plywood for the engine nacelles construction. Aside from the expense, would 1/8th inch carbon fiber plate work in it's place and lighten the tail?

Any advice is sincerely appreciated
Old 04-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber vs plywood

Carbon plate would work extremely well for the purpose. Another product that is both rigid and light that would work is the fiberglass/balsa sandwich that's sold by RCBlimpro. About 1/8" thick and rigid. It's not good if you are going to be bolting or clamping things to it since it can be compressed by a screw and nut, bot outside of that it makes excellent lightweight bulkheads. I'll try and include a pic of a partial cowl support that I installed on a 35% Sukhoi for visuals. The silver colored sheeting is the product. It's a lot less expensive than carbon plate and can be ordered in various sizes from 1 square foot on up. Easier to cut, too.

[link]http://www.rcblimpro.com[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22849.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	670221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68456.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	670222  
Old 04-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Han2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber vs plywood

Thanks for the advice, how much of a weight difference is there between the balsa/fiberglass sandwich or carbon fiber plate and standard plywood?