Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Painting.....When is white not white.....when its LUSTERKOTE!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Painting.....When is white not white.....when its LUSTERKOTE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting.....When is white not white.....when its LUSTERKOTE!!!

Just need to vent some FRUSTRATION here. I have just made my FOURTH attempt at trying to get decent color matches to monocote on a big cowling. I was trying to match metallic blue and after a few attempts with both custom auto paint and lusterkote got a decent match. NOW.....after thinking I had it made.....I sprayed WHITE LUSTECOTE over LUSTERCOTE primer last night to find that after drying and when held next to white monocote......the paint has a VERY noticeable creme or beige tint to it. I have never before had so many problems with paint...including lusterkote.

A QUESTION....The can of white I used last night was several years old....could the color change as it ages??? I mean come on.....white should be white....right?

I enjoy building but this fiasco is really testing my patience.....ARGHHhhh.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:02 AM
PiccoLino

Default RE: Painting.....When is white not white.....when its LUSTERKOTE!!!

The colour can age, especially the white one. White colour is achieved by addition of titanium oxide which doesn't change and it is always white. However the polymers used to form the coating are molecules that can oxidate or further polymerize as they age. Aging factors are heat, light and time. In several years I wouldn't bet one of these factors has trigged the reaction and make the polymers(acrylates, polyurethanes or whatsoever) tipically turn from transparent to yellow.
If it had been a dark colour you would not have noticed it.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 AM
loser

Franco,

Thanks for the info.. I would not have thought oxidation would occur in a pressurized can sealed to the outside atmosphere but maybe you are right and it will. I will be doing some sanding tonight and picking up another can of "fresh" lusterkote to hopefully finish up this "cowling from hell" paint job....lol.

Another question....do you think I should sand off all of the "aged creme white" currently on the cowl or do you think I could just lightly sand and top coat with fresh white paint. I am worried about the old aged paint under the fresh affecting the colour of the fresh on top. I am sooooo tired of sanding paint off this big cowl....for a 35% pitts M-12.

Steve
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Steve. Before you go balistic, you should be aware that paint is NOT going to look like Monokote, regardless of actual color. Perhaps if you spray a clear coat over the top of the paint, you may get closer. Monokote is a coat of CLEAR plastic, with color on the back side. The surface tecture of the two will be different, and that will affect the appearance

Les
Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 AM
loser

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

Steve. Before you go balistic, you should be aware that paint is NOT going to look like Monokote, regardless of actual color. Perhaps if you spray a clear coat over the top of the paint, you may get closer. Monokote is a coat of CLEAR plastic, with color on the back side. The surface tecture of the two will be different, and that will affect the appearance

Les

Les,
I see on your profile that you have a ton of experience in the hobby and for sure "know your stuff" but this paint is off pretty bad....you need to see it.

I have built quite a few models and used a lot of monokote. I have also used various paints over the years with usually decent results. I have also seen quite a few "pro-built" planes covered in monokote that had excellent matching paint (usually custom auto) on the glass and plastic parts. I am not looking for, nor expect, perfectly matching colors and gloss but what i have been ending up with on this latest job is "CRAP". I will believe what Franco mentioned earlier until someone has other ideas/causes. Until then i will try some fresh lusterkote paint.

I have used metallic plum and blue, and most other colors of lusterkote in the past with close but not great matches and understand that getting good matches on "exotic" colors will be difficult. BUT....White!!!.....C'mon..... it must be old paint?? I hope!

Steve
Old 05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Your best bet on NON-METALLIC colors is to bring a sample to your local paint store and have a quart of latex custom matched. Spray it at 25 - 30 psi, let it dry/"cure" for about 10 - 14 days, then clear coat it. I have found this is the least expensive (and frustrating ) way to get a paint that actually matches the covering.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
PiccoLino

If the old paint has properly cured, free from cracks and blisters, it means that it is still ok, except for the colour shade. Anyway sand off some of the old one with a 200 grits and then make the cowl smoother with a 600. Finally repaint the cowl trying to use as little paint as you can since, layer after layer, you are going to make the plane heavier.
About the final texture of the paint, I definitly agree with Les and Campy when they say that a clear coat at the end makes your work match Monokote much better.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:07 PM
loser

Les, Campy and Picco,
Thanks for all the comments. I will definitely keep all your tips in mind. I am just going to do a light sanding on the "beige" white and repaint that area. I have been trying to get this cowl done for a local show this weekend but am running out of time....Arrggghhhhh.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-11-2007, 08:10 AM
loser

I AM SO DONE WITH LUSTERKOTE!!!!!! I used a fresh can of lusterkote last night and actually got white BUT it took the whole can to cover the areas getting white (~70% of a 35% Pitts cowl) that I am painting. I forgot how thin this stuff is and what poor coverage it provides. I will definitely be going the Krylon, Rustoleum or custom blended latex route in the future even though I do not do a lot of painting.

Steve
Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Unfortunately, the EPA strikes again. When Lustercoat first came out, it was really fantastic stuff, but it had BAD things in it. Top Flite reformulated, and turned a good product into garbage. It has never been the same since. I had not heard the THIN complaint before, but the common thing was splatter/splutter. I gave up on it years ago.

Les
Old 05-11-2007, 03:09 PM
chopper man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I covered my plane with Ultracote white and red. The Ultracote red matched fine but the white was a cream/off white. I did learn that all the manufactures where having problems with the white paint. Not sure whats true and whats not. Anyway I purchase some Rustoleoum white. It's not a perfect match but it was ok.
chopper man
Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing matched at all until I drowned the cowl in clear
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36753.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	682628