Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

SIG-KADET WINGS

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

SIG-KADET WINGS

Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SIG-KADET WINGS

Does anybody know of a way to strengthen the wings on this ship. I`ve put doublers throughout the frame,making it a little heavier,but super strong ,,,upgraded to an OS 70 surpass. I guess I` concerned about the extra weight hanging on the wings.. any thoughts?

JIM
Old 05-11-2007, 05:09 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SIG-KADET WINGS

I wouldn't worry about the weight on the wings, I'd be more worried about the bolts or the rubber bands....cause it sounds like your gonna have enough speed to peel the paint off, which means your gonna try some heavy areobatics.
Good luck
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: georgegeorge

Does anybody know of a way to strengthen the wings on this ship. I`ve put doublers throughout the frame,making it a little heavier,but super strong ,,,upgraded to an OS 70 surpass. I guess I` concerned about the extra weight hanging on the wings.. any thoughts?

JIM
You could add wing struts. Use spruce or basswood, some hobby shops that carry a supply of sticks even have different sizes of airfoiled hardwood for this purpose. Cut small slits in each end and insert metal brackets, pin them for strength. Locate a place on the fuse bottom edge even with the main spar of the wing, and another spot along the spar at about 2/3 span. Reinforce each spot with a hardwood block (might mean cutting the cover on the wing bottom) for the screws (I'd use blind nuts and small hex socket screws). Only takes a minute or two extra setup to install them at the field. These are the ends of some struts I made for a much larger plane I had the same concerns with (96" span, 22 pounds)

But Jetmech is right, I wouldn't really worry about the extra weight, you haven't added enough with the other reinforcements to strain the wing, it's pretty stout.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39872.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	682048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29045.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	682049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19271.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	682050  
Old 05-11-2007, 08:55 AM
BillS

I had an OS 91 surpass engine on my Kadet Senior and had no problems with the strength of the wing.

Bill
Old 05-11-2007, 01:10 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

The 70 Four Stroke won't pull it any faster (if as fast) as a .46 two stroke. That engine is within the specs of the plane--not problems, as long as you built it like you were supposed to in the first place.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:26 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should build to fly not to survive a crash.lighter plans always fly better than the heavier counterpart.also lighter planes produce less stress on joints and coponents
Old 05-12-2007, 04:02 AM
tazzzz

NAW, I`mnot building it for speed, just wanto to strenghten it up,,, we have alot of winds down here, am just putting a 70 on it just for the torque
Old 05-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Ed Smith

just putting a 70 on it just for the torque
Oh Dear. If you truly want torque then use a two stroke engine.

Ed S
Old 05-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Tall Paul

I've never seen a Kadet wing collapse in the air. I've flown them up to 25 pounds AUW.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 AM
bluestratos

Our Sig Kadet Seniors were the forerunners of todays 3D. We used 91 4 strokes, installed airlerons and barn door flaps. No diehedral and added a few more shear webs at the wing root. We did wild things with this set up from tow planes, wieght lifts (keep adding weight till you cannot get off the ground), harriors and even flying backwards (flaps full down and a strong head wind). When the wind got to strong to fly anything else, out came the Kadets lol. They were never fast planes so we propped for pulling power.

Shear webs creat the beam effect that makes the wing strong and ridgid. If you subsitute 1/32nd aircraft ply for balsa you will have all the strenght you can hope for with no wieght gain to speak of. Make sure the grain runs at a right angle to the spars. I have also used 1/64 two sides to achieve a box beam, extremely strong. That being said, the weak point will be at the center joint and the wing bolts. Glass the center joint, and make sure the wing hold down blocks are reinforced.

Regards,
Randy
Old 05-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Pilgrim

You don't have to beef up the wings on the sr kadet if you just use a little common sense. I have been flying kadets for 5 or 6 years now with os 91 fs. We carry 2 qts of water, one on each side of the fuse at the leading edge of the wing & don't have a problem...also have 4 bomb racks on the wings with no problems. Just don't fly around at full throttle in level flight, don't pull out of a steep dive fast. You woun't have a problem. We also took out the elevator & rudder push rods & moved the servos back to the back of the fus. This gives a lot of room in the fuse for bomb bays (2) for dropping parachutes or ping pong balls....or any thing else...paint balls... only beef up I did was to the back of the firewall, but others haven't & they are not having a problem. Also have a removable module that I built & attaches to the bottom of the fuse in front of the main gear for towing stuff, or flags , banners & such. Sometimes put a cam corder under the fuse...either looking forward or back & the touch & go's look nice. The kadet sr is a really nice plane & can do most of anything you want it to do. Throttle back & you can back up in a fairly strong wind, but is a hand full on the ground in a strong wind. They make a very good tail dragger too...& they look like they should be that way. ..........Have fun with your kadet & I hope you have as much fun with it as I do.............Pilgrim
Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 PM
tazzzz

Yup, I beefed up the framework with basswood as far back as I could (doublers) very strong.,and rigid. Turned it into a taildragger,,I`ll never go back to trike gears again.
Seems like it takes a while for it to gain major alttitude, but when she gets up there she doesn`t want to come down,,,,,,,,,,,It`s either the plane, or just the fact I don`t want to come down. The 70 surpass is excellent with this model,,,,,,,,,,,,sooooo if you`ll excuse me I have to land. I think I`m running low on fuel. ( it`s true ,,,they do fly by themselves)

Talk to you later

JIM
Old 05-29-2007, 06:32 AM
TCrafty

I've got a Senior with a 91 OS 4-stroke on it and havent had any issues so far. I DO go and double up on the rubber bands to hold it on though since I do throw it around a lot in the air. I'd have no fear running a 91 or even a 125 on a Kadet. I've got taller gear so the 15X8 MAS prop that I've got has plenty of room. IF you're the type that can't work a throttle, you'd be best keeping a 40LA on it. If you know how to pull back on the throttle, the 91 is, in my opinion, the engine that a Kadet SHOULD have on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99849.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	693541  
Old 04-24-2022, 02:08 PM
bodybuildr
My Feedback: (44)

Originally Posted by Ed Smith View Post
Oh Dear. If you truly want torque then use a two stroke engine.

Ed S
You have to be kidding 😂
Old 04-24-2022, 04:26 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been flying one of these for 20 years with an OS .70 4-stroke. Still going strong.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:07 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 136 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn View Post
I've been flying one of these for 20 years with an OS .70 4-stroke. Still going strong.

I refused to run a 4 stroke until I was given an OS .70. Changed my entire outlook on 4 strokes. I was going to hunt for one to mount on that Jeep I got from you but a .45 FSR kinda fell in my lap over the weekend.