Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How to braise piano wire

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How to braise piano wire

Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
cslota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to braise piano wire

I am making a new landing gearing out of piano wire so I can put my airplane on floats. I would like to know how to braise to wire together.

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2007, 10:03 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: How to braise piano wire

Here is some good info.

http://www.vaillyaviation.com/images...re%20_web_.pdf

ORIGINAL: cslota

I am making a new landing gearing out of piano wire so I can put my airplane on floats. I would like to know how to braise to wire together.

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2007, 10:12 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Super info !!!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:12 AM
cslota

Thanks for the link on how to bend and form wire using heat treating, I will save that. But what I am looking for is information on how to baze to seperate pieces of piano wire together. I want to attach a cross brace between the front landing gear and the rear landing gear supports for a set of floats.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:52 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

The best way I have found and always done it is to get some soft thin copper wire and wrap the two pieces where you want to tie them together and then use silver solder to solder them together. This makes a nice joint that won't ever fail. There is no way to just braze the two pieces together other than welding, you need the wire wrap. Wind it on smoothly like putting on eye on a fishing pole and you'll have a great looking strong joint.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFS75&P=ML

ORIGINAL: cslota

Thanks for the link on how to bend and form wire using heat treating, I will save that. But what I am looking for is information on how to baze to seperate pieces of piano wire together. I want to attach a cross brace between the front landing gear and the rear landing gear supports for a set of floats.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:56 AM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

braising gets the wire too hot and will lose it's hardness,silver solder is better but if you want to braize you will need an oxy acetylene torch and tanks plus braizing rod and flux then practice on scrap pieces.heat the braising rod tip a few inches and stick it in the flux so the flux sticks to the rod.then heat the metal to be joined red hot then touch the rod to the red hot metal till it melts and flows.let cool.in 40 years never had the need to braise music wire silver solder worked for me and I have the equipment to braize if I want to.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:01 AM
jetmech05

If you braze them together you will have that brass looking joint much better to solder