Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering question (Starburst Pattern)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering question (Starburst Pattern)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:16 AM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Covering question (Starburst Pattern)

Hi:

First I'm a sorta noobie at this covering. I have done simple covering jobs and understand the process and have watched the videos here. I'm doing a simple starburst pattern with monokote on my Kadet MarkII on the top of the main wing. Do I cut the individual triangular pieces and iron them on one at a time on to the wing (OR) do I seam the pattern together off of the plane and then tack the whole section on. I am unsure as to what would be the best way to do this.

If I join the pieces together with low heat before and tack the whole section to the wing (as you would normally do with a solid color) will the seams pull apart when I use the gun to shrink the covering?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-13-2007, 06:37 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Covering question (Starburst Pattern)

I generally cover the entire structure with the base color and then add the triangular pieces one-by-one on top of the base color. So there is a double thickness of monokote where the second color goes. This may be slightly heavier than the seamed approach. The seamed approach also works but you can never use a heat gun on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13700.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	683373  
Old 05-13-2007, 08:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would do like DMcQuinn said - Base coat, then sunburst.

But if the Sunrays are small, like his, I would outline where they are going, and then poke a few bazillion holes in the under coat for air to escape. If they are large (Where he has 6 rays, most sunburst patterns only have 3) I would outline them and then cut out the center leaving only about 1/2" of overlap.

Look at the video where I applied the red wingtip covering to see how this is done.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything wrong with covering the plane in a base color then using vinyl tape sheets to cut out the burst ?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:31 AM
MinnFlyer

Yea - you can't cut with vinyl.

Do you mean use vinyl as the rays instead of covering? If so, then yes you can do that. It would be a little heavier, but not much
Old 05-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A hint for minimizing/eliminating the bubbles.

Use WINDEX to apply the trim. The ammonia in the Windex activates the adhesive (this ONLY works with Monokote ). Spray the area, apply the trim piece, then CAREFULLY squegee the excess Windex out from under the trim piece and BLOT, not rub, the area with a dry cloth or paper towel to get rid of the excess windex. Let dry for 12 hours (or longer) then go over the edges with a trim iron or some Monokote trim solvent to seal the edges.

I believe Minnflyer has a video or detailed instructions available also.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:45 AM
MinnFlyer

If you are using MonoKote this works well. I prefer to go over the edges (After 24 hrs) with a Q-Tip dipped in Acetone than to use heat.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
twn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of your input. As it turns out I only had enough specific monokote left to do it in pieces. It worked out great too. I used parchment paper under when I joined it off of the wing. (nothing seems to stick to parchment paper and it left no residue on the glue side of the monokote.) No wrinkles and I carefully used the gun to shrink the monokote once on the wing. I just stayed clear of the seams. To some degree anyway... I will post some pics later.

Thanks,
Tom