Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Super chipmunk dual servos

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Goldberg Super chipmunk dual servos

Old 02-27-2003, 02:44 AM
Ack-Ack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Super chipmunk dual servos

I have a partialy built Goldberg superchipmunk. After reading many of the posts on this site I have decided to change from the original bell crank system (which is installed) to using dual servos for the ailerons. I am not sure what I need to do to mount the servos and how to connect them to my receiver. Can some one help me out? a picture of a working setup would be very helpful.

I would also like to reinforce the landing gear but the wing is already sheeted. What would you recomend would work for the gear and where can I find 5/64 sheeting?

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:27 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can get the sheeting at most hobby shops or balsausa.com or lonestar.com. I would take the sheeting off and add triangle stock to the gear mounts if there is a question of streangth.

On the aileron servos, good choice. Figure out what bay you want the servos in. I put a rail from one rib to the next, using 1/4 inch spruce or just a bit bigger in front and behind the servo. I put triangle stock under it so the rib and the servo rail have good bond. Put a 1/4 inch piece of balsa on the rail next to the rib and sand it to the rib so your servo sits 1/4 inch from the rib and has a solid piece of balsa next to it. Then put 2 more of those pieces on the other side of the servo, making a box that the servo sits in with just the servo arm out in the breeze. The rest of the servo is in the wing. You can build a plate so you can't see the servo, or just leave it open. I find it works just as well to leave it open. Make sure you have wood all the way around the servo to cover to. Should just be a hole big enough for the servo to go in. I run tubes for the servo wires to go to the center of the wing and come out a hole. Use a Y connector in the rec or if you have a computer radio, 2 ail extensions and mark them left and right. Program one as the master and one as the slave. You can change the throws on the computer so they are exact. I do it that way. It works well. PM me if you want a picture and I can send you one when I get home.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's one way to do it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58897_7722.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	36636  
Old 02-28-2003, 02:52 AM
Ack-Ack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your replies! the descriptions and pictures are very helpful.
so there is no need to make plywood doublers to support the servo rails? just the triangle stock against the rib.

Now, to get at the LG blocks since the wing is sheeted should I remove a section or is it better to remove and re sheet the entire wing? How would I remove the sheeting without damaging the ribs? (very carefully I would think) any suggestions?

Thank You,
Jim
Old 02-28-2003, 04:05 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any time I do surgery to balsa sheeting, I always try to go across at least two ribs, and at least 3/4" past the ribs. Don't worry about cutting through the ribs, just peal the sheeting off of them, whatever cracks will be re-glued later to it's mating part.

Once the internal repair is complete, glue tabs made from balsa sheeting UNDER the sheeting around the opening. Now the piece you cut out will have a "bed" to rest on that will line it up with it's original position. Then just fill the cut lines with balsa filler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59149_7722.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	36637