Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 What Kit Or ARTF for a Saito 170 3cyl Engine >

What Kit Or ARTF for a Saito 170 3cyl Engine

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Kit Or ARTF for a Saito 170 3cyl Engine

Old 05-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Kit Or ARTF for a Saito 170 3cyl Engine

Is there anybody out there that can help me Ive recently finished a 96" Flair Hannibal kit and i am thinking about a Saito 170 3cyl Radial for it but to be perfectly honest i cant justify the cost of the engine just for the one plane so i am asking all you guys for your suggestions for any other kit or ARTF out there that would be suitable for the Saito I know some of the radial engined warbirds would be suitable but they are not really my scene I prefer something semi-scale or scale civilian or sports scale or semi-scale or any other one you can think of They reckon the 170 3cyl is about the equivalent to a 120 single Hope you guys can help me out
All the very best from Scotland
Styk
Old 05-20-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What Kit Or ARTF for a Saito 170 3cyl Engine

Well, it is difficult to suggest what to do with such an engine. Usually who buys a Saito 170 3cyl Radial has already got in his mind a precise idea, otherwise one would buy a 120 single cyl which is equivalent, as you say.
However I can tell you what I would do with that engine.
I would build a large bipe such as a Waco, a Pitts P-12 or a scale Stinson.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are churning to have an ARF, Maybe you would like to look at either the COX WACO YMF, or the T-28. They should both accept the 170 radial with no problems. It is a much smoother engine than any 120 single. Just be sure to use on board glow, since the bottom left jug likes to lose it's fire at low idle.

Now, if you want to build one, come to the Vintage and Antique page (here) and look at the WACO YMF thread. You can actually build one again.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious. What could be the reason for just one cylinder to lose its fire at low idle?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:46 PM
My Feedback: (103)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: styk

........ i am thinking about a Saito 170 3cyl Radial for it but to be perfectly honest i cant justify the cost of the engine just for the one plane so i am asking all you guys for your suggestions for any other kit or ARTF out there that would be suitable for the Saito.......
The first ARF that comes to mind is the Kangke 1/4 scale Monocoupe. I have had this combo, and it is perfect! You couldn't ask for a better plane/engine combination. The smoothness of the radial is outstanding. Balance is perfect, and be sure to add the Electrodynamics Super glowlite multi for easy starts. Then, of course, the Cox 1/5 Waco. Gotta try that one next.

If you like to build, here's a couple of kits that it would work in: Midwest AT6 and the Carl Goldberg Sukhoi. I don't know when I'll ever get around to building them.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A scratch-build, but a lovely aeroplane, is the ANEC Missel Thrush. There are plans available.

http://www.belairkits.com/Productdetail.asp?Id=420 belair do a kit at 79"