Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
 Help - New to the plane scene >

Help - New to the plane scene

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help - New to the plane scene

Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - New to the plane scene

Well some of you may know me off the boat forums but soon after thinking that air is easier to find than water i thought why not get started in rc planes!!!

It all started with a trip to Jaycar (like radio shack for you americans) and there i saw for 50 bucks a small model plane that was constructed of expanded polystyrene foam and had 2 props/motors (lowering the rpm of one motor to steer the plane) and to top it off it ran of a lipo that once charged for 20 mins - would yield 10 mins of flight time...I couldnt resist.

So when i got it home, charged it and flew it i was hooked - right from then and there i wanted to get into rc planes.

Soooooooooooooo...here goes a barrage of questions

With planes i understand there are 2 main forms of propultion in terms of electric - brushless and brushed dc, for costs sake im going to be starting with brushed and my "style" of rc planes atm the is in the smallish domain - ie. indoor rc up to 23" wing span.

Having said that i also know that the plane will need a tranmitter and reciver :P and batteries aswell as an esc (to suit the motor type, which in this case is brushed). And from my understanding it would be best to have a 4 channel reciver/transmitter - one for motor, rudder, elevator and arelons, BUT depending on the cost i may fall back to a 3 channel setup which then i was wondering if it would be best to have the motor (obivosly), the rudder and elevator or to swap the elevator for the arelons? im new so i dont have a clue but my technical know how points me in the direction of using the elevator appossed to the arelons (if i had a choice).

and secondly is batteries - are lipo "that much better" that i should forget about nimh or could they still be a consideration?

I will be building my own planes (half the fun of flying) and i will be making my esc becuase im familar with my electronics and the esc is for a brushed motor so it easy to make any way (compared to a sensorless bldc esc :0)

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help - New to the plane scene

To start i would recomend using a four channel set up if at all possible. If you do have to use a three channel system have the moto, the elevator, and the alerons. The rudder is not nessersary for basic flight but all four surfaces are needed for advanced flight. 2nd LIPo is that much better but you really need to talk to someone experienced with the batteries. If seen firsthand planes bursting into flames because of a lipo.