Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

painting with latex paint

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

painting with latex paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 07:53 AM
Frazzy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting with latex paint

I've been doing some looking here but have not found a definitive answer for this question. On painting a plywood and balsa fuse, should a primer be applied or can latex be applied directly to the bare wood. There is all kinds of things about painting fiberglass and fabric, but not much on woods. It really seems like it would be best to prime the wood, but also seems like a lot of people spray latex directly to their project. A second question is on a vinyl surface, should a primer be applied to this and then painted or should just latex be applied?
Old 03-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wood must first be sealed. It would take a huge amount of primer to seal the wood to the point where latex would not be absobed into the wood. The most commom method of sealing is with fiberglass resin and glass cloth.

Vince
Old 03-01-2003, 08:12 PM
bruno-dude

Other than a primer to seal the wood, can a sanding sealer be used that you could then prime and then paint latex? I realize by the time you get a clearcoat of something over the top you have 4 layers. What I am really asking is how do you seal and then finish a wood fuselage using latex? Seems like most people are covering fabric or glass when they are using latex. Maybe I need to glass it but is there another way to do it? Thanks for any additional info.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cannot beat a glassed covering for light weigh and ding resistance. Yes, it's possible to seal a wood surface with sealer, but it may be heavy. Some guys use an iron on covering that is made to be painted, you might look at that.

Vince
Old 03-02-2003, 02:30 AM
Dzlstunter

One fairly lightweight way to seal balsa before latex is to: 1) use a very dilute (skimmed milk consistancy) solution of water and Titebond II to attach a silkspan skin to the wood; 2) when dry, use a brushable mixture of water and spackling compound to "paint" the structure; 3) when that is dry, sand almost all of it off, leaving just enough to fill the grain or weave of the silkspan; 4) prime (I use Kilz II, a latex primer) and paint. I will try to attach a picture of my project done that way. Good luck, Dzl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59452_373.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	36894  
Old 03-02-2003, 07:22 AM
bruno-dude

Very good help, guys. Thanks much. Hope Frazzy got some good out of that as well.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:17 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

I use silkspan the same way but use McCutchins wood sealer instead to get that good surface. It's like water and 2 coats sanded after each one and you are ready to go! Go to my web site and click on 'Pictures, look at the Corsair and you will see the end result. It wasn't painted with latex but the end result would be the same!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:46 AM
paulfromero
My Feedback: (4)

Hi,

Once we cover the balsa with a paintable plastic film, how do we then paint the model with latex? I am considering using my extra cans of house paint to paint my model in light and dark hues of blue with slate gray. Then, I am considering going with a clear coat to glow fuel proof it. It would seem to me that a brush would work fine, and that a sprayer would be too much trouble.

If it came to that, wouldn't it would be as or more favorable to buy some spray paint cans at the LHS?