Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Ultracote over Monokote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Ultracote over Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracote over Monokote

Hi;
I know this has been discussed and I've read the threads. I just want to make sure I've got it right.

I have a base covering on the wings in yellow Monokote, (new stuff), and want to apply a "sunburst" pattern in Flame Red Ultracote, (I have it already). My understanding is I can't use the "Windex" method, right? If not, what are my chances of applying the Ultra over the Mono and not getting a real bubble mess?

If I can Windex, any tips?
Thanks all!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Ultracote over Monokote

No, you can't use windex to apply Ultracoat. Windex only works with applying monokote because the ammonia in the windex activates the adhesive in the monokote, but the adhesive in Ultracoat is different and won't activate. To apply Ultracoat over Monokote you will need to use heat to apply it.

Ken
Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And to avoid bubbles, remove the underlying MonoKote. Just leave enough for about a 3/8" overlap

If you're really uncomfortable doing that, at leasy punch a few bazillion holes in the MK where the UC will be covering it so the air has an escape route
Old 06-05-2007, 02:01 PM
CB36

This is over an open structure, (wing ribs), and I was hoping to avoid the tediousness of piecing this thing together on glass or something. Any other suggestions? How 'bout starting with low heat to get the pattern down and progressing up in heat? Still the same results? It's been a very long time since I've built a kit and I seem to have forgotten some stuff.
Thanks Mike!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

I did something similar with the bottom of my Sig Somthin Extra wings. Cut out squares, added each piece individually and tacked down the edges on the rib caps then hit the middle with a little heat in the middle to tighten things up. Just be careful you don't heat it too much as they will shrink away from the edges.

somegeek
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17283.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	698166  
Old 06-05-2007, 04:53 PM
jetmech05

seal the edges with clear finger nail polish
Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my GP Cap-232 with a white Monokote base and red and blue Ultracoat for trim and stripes on bottom of the wings. it worked great. Just turn the iron low enough so the Ultracoat sticks but isn't so hot that it affects the Monokote. Here's a picture before I added the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24074.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	698363