Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sealing hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 02:49 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealing hinges

What is the best way to go about sealing hinges? I've heard people mention clear monokote or clear packing tape. But in what manner should it be applied. How wide should the strips of tape be? Should they be sealed on both top and bottom, or is it sufficient to just seal the bottoms?

To me sealing just the bottoms makes the most sense, because it still prevents and air from penetrating through the hinge gap, and at the same time makes for a better appearance by not having a strip of tape on top of the hinge.

As I mentioned above I'm also interested in finding the ideal width of tape. Should the tape be wide enough to just fill the hinge, or should it overlap onto the wings and control surface. I've attatched a pic for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59585_15602.gif
Views:	12
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	37072  
Old 03-02-2003, 04:14 PM
bentgear

Default Sealing hinges

coomarlin, I use ultracote and make it just large enough to fill the gap with no overlap. I was applying it just to the bottom but have found that doing the top and bottom keeps a lot of crap out of the hingeline. If I am in a hurry I will just cut the ultracote about an inch wide, crease it in the middle, iron it in place and then carefully cut it off flush with the surface and the re-iron the edge.

Ed M.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:09 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sealing hinges

Originally posted by bentgear
coomarlin, I use ultracote and make it just large enough to fill the gap with no overlap. I was applying it just to the bottom but have found that doing the top and bottom keeps a lot of crap out of the hingeline. If I am in a hurry I will just cut the ultracote about an inch wide, crease it in the middle, iron it in place and then carefully cut it off flush with the surface and the re-iron the edge.

Ed M.
Yes you are probably right about sealing both sides in order to keep the junk from settling into the hingline. I'm going to need to buy some clear monokote. Thanks for the tips