Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Robart hinges

Old 06-09-2007, 07:52 PM
bpoates25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart hinges

Hey all, I'm new to building, and saw Robart hinges at my LHS. Has anyone ever used them, and if so are they a good product? Seems that drilling 1/8 inch holes would be much easier than cutting slots. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Robart hinges

I used them on my Bridi Killer Bee. One must make sure there is enough stock to allow for strength. You do not need to have the entire hinge buried however. I used the drill point jig. Alignment was perfect. It is time consumiong as you must glue one side let it cure then add the other. If you do not want a large gap you'll need to recess the hinge into the control surface. As far as effort CA with a GP slot machine is much easier. However I prefer the action of the hinge point better. I'll use them again.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:23 PM
bpoates25

Yah, I was wondering how good they would work on the stab because of the thickness. Not much thickness to work with there. Well cool. Thanks for the input. Think I may just give them a try.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

everyone uses them for super holding power on the gassers. those are some great higes for any product as they do come in different sizes....
Old 06-09-2007, 08:42 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The other draw back to using the hinge points is the you must measure exactly where they will go on your stabs and control surfaces. You need to make sure that your holes are all lined up prior to using any glue. The guide that Robart makes is very good to get everything centered befor drilling. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-09-2007, 08:43 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

They're a great product and the only hinge I use. With the drilling jig and a little care I frequently put 1/8" hinges in 3/16" sheet surfaces. I find them much easier to install than slotted hinges.

Dave
Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 PM
AERORICH73

Hi Fellows: The two things I would add to this thread is to careflully apply petroleum jelly to the pin area to make sure the epoxy does not lock up the hinge, and install the flight surface without glue to insure all of the hinge pins are lined up parallel to each other before the epoxy dries. Once the epoxy has dried, remove the flight surface, and notch for a small gap using a small round file. Then use a round tooth pick to place epoxy in the flight surface holes, and install it using a cotton swab to remove any excess epoxy that comes out of each hole. An alcohol dipped cotton swab does a nice job of removing any film of epoxy left on the covering.

If you have access to the Great Planes Slotting tool for CA hinges, try both hinge types, and get back to us what your thoughts are for each method. Enjoy your build.

Rich S.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:07 AM
AlphaWhisky

I`ve used these hinges for several years now. No dramas and never had a single one fail. I lay them out on a paper towel prior to installation and apply a drop of thin sewing machine oil into the pivot area and then roll them on the paper to remove any little excess.

I haved use aliphatic glue solely to install them for years - Sig-Bond.

I last lost a model around 4 years ago - nothing to do with hinge failure, but decided to dig the hinges out to check how well they glue held. It took quite some work to get them out, and being rather frugal in nature, reused them on another .90 powered hotrod aerobatic model. They`re still going strong.

Alan W
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92323.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	700976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86626.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	700977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41762.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	700978  
Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 AM
bpoates25

You all have me convinced. Thanks everyone for your reply's.

Ben
Old 06-10-2007, 07:52 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

You'll find lots of info here http://tinyurl.com/yqptyw

Dave
Old 06-10-2007, 01:41 PM
RCer

Hello

If you are building a kit I find it much easier to drill the hinge holes before doing any building. Simply marke the hinge holes on the wing/stab/fin trailing wedge stock. Place the stock over the leading edge of the control sufface. Drill through the wing/stab/fin stock into the control surface leading edge. This makes sure that all the hinge holes line up. You still need to drill the holes on the same line along the trailing edge stock.

Regards
RCer
Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 AM
AERORICH73

Nice plane AlphaWhiskey !!!!

Rich S.