Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

soldering music wire

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

soldering music wire

Old 03-05-2003, 03:11 AM
pitts pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soldering music wire

I was wondering whether it is ok to use brass wire to wrap around two lengths of formed music wire for soldering some float mounts I am making or should it be copper wire?
Old 03-05-2003, 03:39 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either one will work fine. they both solder well. Staybrite silver solder works well for piano wire.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:09 AM
Dsegal

As Flypaper advised Staybrite solder is the way to go. The best wire for wrapping is tinned bus wire from Radio Shack.

Dave Segal
Old 03-06-2003, 11:11 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to do that too. Wrap it with copper wire, use a lot of flux and it worked well.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:54 AM
Ragwing
My Feedback: (2)

k guys, this is a stupid question but....where do you get piano/music wire? Is it really as simple as going to a piano tuner or piano shop? The LHS doesn't carry any.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:01 AM
Flypaper 2

Ragwing:
Your hobby shop must be behind the times. Maybe they could order it. I take it the next nearest hobby shop is to far away.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:33 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Have found the easiest way to make piano wire joints is after cleaning good use Sta-brite flux & tack the joints together just so they all hold , then go back & wrap with wire & solder again. Sure beats it flopping all over the place. Any wire will work for wrapping. Just take your time & place the winds close together for good looking strong joint. Wipe down while still warm with dope thinner, if you let flux get hard you will need to chip it off!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 03-07-2003, 10:23 AM
bobbdd

Default Music Wire is soft after soldering

Music wire is hardened 0-1 tool steel, and after it is heated to soldering temp it is as soft as that steel wire that comes with some ARF's. Check through your pile of wire that you'v been saving, and you will probably find some wire that looks a little lighter silver, that is not piano wire (music wire), and you'll notice that it bends easily.So if you solder together a nice framed structurally sound landing gear setup all those solder joints will be soft as a noodle, and it will not hold up.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Rodney

Most hardware stores in the USA also carry piano wire along with threaded rod, angle iron etc.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Music Wire is soft after soldering

Originally posted by bobbdd
after it is heated to soldering temp it is as soft as that steel wire that comes with some ARF's.
Sorry to disagree, but soldering temps (600 degrees F) will not take the temper out of steel, unless of course you use a torch and over-heat the metal. Steel must be heated to RED hot (1650 degrees F) , or be heated for an extended period of time before it will remove the temper.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:48 PM
bobbdd

Default At 600'

At 600 ' you are not getting the lead solder really "onto" the steel, you are only rapping it in copper and lead, which are sticking to each other very well but not the steel, of course your success depends on application and design.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, I used 600d as the aprox temp that soldier melts. My point is: unless you get the metal red hot, or hold the heat for upwards of an hour or longer, you will not affect the temper to any noticable degree.