Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Stupid question of the day.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stupid question of the day.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:26 PM
spiral_72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question of the day.

I'm looking at a Hanger 9 F4U Corsair. The fuselage is glassed. ARF costs $260..... ~60" wingspan.

If I were to build a comparable Corsair from scratch, what do you think the cost would be in wood/glass/covering alone. I'll have to purchase the cowl, canopy and retracts seperate obviously. I don't have plans, but before I go to all the trouble.... It'd be nice to know if it was worth it.

I appreciate any opinions. It'd be a fun build I think and don't mind the time if the savings is worth it.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stupid question of the day.

You can buy the Top Flite kit for $150 from Tower.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:45 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

kits or scratch builds are not cheaper than arf's....
not these days......
Old 06-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, they are not cheaper, BUT, what about the quality ????

When I build a kit or scratch, I KNOW there is epoxy holding the firewall and LG blocks in place, not hot glue. I KNOW the firewall is made of regular plywood and not lite ply.

ARFs are cheaper, but is it cheaper if the plane falls apart on you ?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:20 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it would depend on if you cut the parts yourself or have them lasercut.bob holman used to have a brian taylor corsair around 82" with a glass fuse.for a knock around corsair wing has one to try your hand at but price depends on options wing corsair 200-300 bucks,top flite 300-600 and taylor 600-900
Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

I have not seen an ARF kit yet that didn't require quite a bit of rework / repair / redesign to get the plane up to reasonable standards for flight. The only reason I buy ARFs is from sheer laziness to build the entire airframe myself, but for the models I really want to show off and fly properly, I will either buy a good kit or scratch build the entire thing myself.
I guess it all depends on each person's personal standards of quality.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should finish myTop Flight Corsair ready to fly for about $1000.00 to $1200.00 dollars. minus radio.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:36 AM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Another thing to consider is scale outline. Are you satisfied with sport scale? Or, do you want an accurate scale outline. Neither the Hanger 9 or the Top Flight have very accurate outlines. If you want a true to scale Corsair, your best options are to scratch build or find an old Royal kit. If I were to build a Top Flite, I would tweek the outline to a more scale appearance. That would also require fabricating a new cowl, as the one in the kit just isn't quite right. The Hanger 9 is a great ARF. They fly beautifully and look great from 10 feet away. However, Monokote on a warbird makes me want to vomit... WWII birds really should glassed and painted. It is the only way to make them look right!
Doug