Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

After run oil??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

After run oil??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Sik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After run oil??

First off let me say that I am brand new to the hobbie. My question is when I'm done flying for the day, what if anything needs to be done to the motor?? My plane is a trainer with an OS .46 FX. I use Cool Power 15%. On the fuel bottle it says DO NOT USE AFTER RUN OIL. I've heard to pinch off the fuel line and run the motor at full power. Please Help. I'm Clueless and want the motor to last a very longtime.. Thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 02:48 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: After run oil??

I can't imagine a fuel manufacturer saying not to use after run oil. Each to their own I guess. I used Omega products for a lot of years and have since switched to Wildcat and I do like it better. Not that there is any thing wrong with Omega. My practice over the years has been to close the carb, fill with after run oil, open the carb and flip the prop through six or so times. Pinching the fuel line off with the motor running can be dangerous to your fingers.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:57 PM
anonymouse

Old scale guy..Morgan Fuels (Cool Power and Omega) say right on the bottle and at thier web site "do not use after run oil" they have an additive to keep engine from rusting and thier fuels do not react well to petroleum based oil. Drain tank and run engine dry is a good idea though perhaps rather than pinch fuel line, just remove from needle valve the start engine and run dry.. I have never used after run oil and as of yet had no problem with rust or corrosion..
Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Sik

Thanks Guys..
Old 07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Deerslayer

For about 15 years, I have been using Cool Power synthetic with 15% nitro in many 2-cycle and several 4-cycle engines. I have never had a problem with bearings, and I do not use any after run oil. Some of these engines have sat for a year or more, yet started and ran well.
One thing that I do which I think helps is that my planes are hung up by their props, the opposite to what I notice that most people do. I think that my way provides a benefit (although my reason for hanging them that way was simply for convenience where I stored them). If there is any crap in the crankcase, with the engine pointed up, that will accumulate at the backplate area of the crankcase. No bearings there! Conversely, if you hand your plane with the nose down, you can expect to get residuals soaking the front bearings.

On the rare occasion where I have opened an engine by taking off the backplate, I have always found the crankshaft counterweights to be clear of rust, with lots of (synthetic) oil coating everything. Back when I used castor oil, and had occasional bearing failures, I would find the crankshaft to have brown spots (rust) and some gunk in the crankcase. No more!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Sik

Thanks Slayer. What do you do at the end of the day? Do you empty the fuel tank and pack it up, or is there more, as far as the motor goes???
Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never used after run in over 30 years. There is enough oil in the fuel to protect the engine unless you store it in a very humid climate, then put a few drops in the carb and spin it a few times.

Pulling the line and letting the fuel run out every flight will over time do more damage than good. My friends that do that burn bearings over and over and don't understand why I don't burn bearings. They don't believe it when I tell them what causes their problems, but to each their own.