Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

TX & RX battery charging

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

TX & RX battery charging

Old 03-08-2003, 06:59 PM
pgesler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TX & RX battery charging

After not using a transmitter or receiver for a month or two - should I just go ahead and charge both or do I need to discharge before charging.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just go ahead and charge, no need to discharge. If you are using the charger that came with the equipment, just charge for at least 14 to 16 hours (treat it as a new unit would be treated). You might want to check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some good info on how to care for your batteries. You get a lot of bad or downright missleading info here on the discussion board, i.e. like NiCads have a memory problem (totaly false) and need to be completely discharged before charging (again totaly false). If you are in doubt, contact the battery manufacturer for good info.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:09 AM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: TX & RX battery charging

Originally posted by pgesler
After not using a transmitter or receiver for a month or two - should I just go ahead and charge both or do I need to discharge before charging.
Post this question in the radio forum and you'll have 20 people tell you 20 ways to do it.
Ni cads should be recycled and I use a 20 ohm resistor or 2 # 1157 auto bulbs.
Other buy expensive recyclers and other related gear but IMHO it's not needed.
In the owners manual from TH for the System 3000 they tell you to extent the antenna and leave the TX on until the batteries go dead then recharge.
As a ham radio Op I have many things here that run from NiCads and I keep most of them topped off.
I also have a hand held thats 12 years old and I never bothered with recycling. So there you go.
If I post that in the radio section I get bashed to hell.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:57 AM
LoboFlyer

Welcome to battery religion 101 ;-)
Old 03-09-2003, 06:04 AM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by LoboFlyer
Welcome to battery religion 101 ;-)
Yeah,
It a topic that requires some Bible reading.
For who shall ever disagree with me will be fried,flamed,ripped,shreded and torn apart
Old 03-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the type of battery they will self discharge at ABOUT 10 % per month. At that rate batteries stored fully charged will only need about 10% of your normal charge time.
If you discharge with a fixed load without automatic cut off be sure to terminate discharging when the battery reaches 1,0 volt per cell IE: 4.0 volt in a 4 cell pack. This will avoid possible permanent damage to the pack. The MAIN reason many people use cyclers is to MEASURE battery capacity , Discharging is seldom required otherwise .

ELLEFF