Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Trailers, duel axles or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Trailers, duel axles or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailers, duel axles or not?

I am about to take the plunge and get a 6'X12' tailer. I noticed a lot of guys here have trailers with a single axle. Is that a personal choice or is it a financial one?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 PM
bbbair

Default RE: Trailers, duel axles or not?

A 6' x 12' trailer is BIG and heavy, then you can add a box on it and it gets HEAVIER!

Eventually you are going to want to put something into this GRAND TOW BEHIND and it will get Heavier! []

The second axle will make it easier to balance, tow and move around in general - the extra cost is minimal.

Get the second axle.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
VFR_RC

if you can afford it, get the second axle... not only because of what bbbair said but also it's less bouncing inside the trailer. the 4 wheels distribute the bumps nicely. you should look at a dual axle go over speed bumps, the trailer barely moves, and with a single axle, the whole thing flies up in the air.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
KW_Counter

Dual axles are harder to move around by hand.
KW_Counter
Old 07-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Flying freak

Iv talked to my dad abnout me saving up for a trailer for the rc stuff (to prevent hanger rash) anyways the convo basically ende in him saying he would only oull somthignw ith dual axle for 2 reasons
1- evertually your going to put somthing really heavy in there
2- if you blow a tire on the high way it wont be so bad with 3 wheels ....
Old 07-10-2007, 03:31 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Generally, these trailers come with a single axle if they are 12' long or less, and dual axle 14' and longer. The axle's max load determines how many are used. The max gross weight of a 6' or 7' wide by 12' long trailer is rarely more than 3500 pounds, and that is usually the max rating for an axle. Consider what you're gonna use to pull it with, also, and maneuverability is easier with a single axle (backing up, etc). If the planes you have physically fit something like a 6 or 7 x 12' trailer, you certainly aren't going to overload it, weight-wise.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
V2PLUS10

Just bought a single axle trailer with a torsion axle ...have not used it yet, but those who have similar sized (6X10) recommend the torsion axle as it is an independent suspension and provides a better ride.....even the salesman recommended the torsion axle..he say's folks like antique dealers who haul breakables ask for the torsion axle....I hope he's right!!

Randy
Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Whistling Death

Ok, I feel better now. I am going with a duel axle setup. I am going to have it set up so I can quickly move my gear out if I need to haul something else. It will come in handy later this summer when I have to move my daughter (at college) to a new apartment. I will be able to put everything in there. I think I want to get a v nose as well to get better gas milage. Thanks for the info guys.