Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Help with VERY old monocoat !

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Help with VERY old monocoat !

Old 07-10-2007, 10:35 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with VERY old monocoat !

I have problem with some very old monocoat thats on a goldberg ultimate bipe. The monocoat covering is delaminated, in other words the clear side of the covering just pulls up but the color part is actually embedded into the wood grain of the wing(yes, its that old of covering).
I want to recover the wings (the pattern is red,white and blue stripes on the wing) but how in the world do I get the old stuff to let go of the wood? Tonite I tried some acetone and if just smears it. I tried sanding but I didnt have much luck with that either- I dont want to sand alot due to the balsa sheeting is not too thick on the wing. I tried a heating iron and it just melts and smears.
Anyone out there with a super trick to get this old crap off? Did I mention that the covering is very old? LOL
I plan on reproducing the same color scheme and was wondering if I could just clean it off the best I could once I find out how,and then lay the new covering down where the old was? I just didnt know how good the new would adhere to all this ?
THANK YOU in advance for any tips or help you can offer me.
John
Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Help with VERY old monocoat !

Try laying an old t shrit on her and heating that up. should make the color stick to the shirt
Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Kaos Rulz

John,

Just get as much of the pigment off that you can and iron on the new monokote over whatever is left. So long as you have all the backing off the old stuff and there is nothing left but color, you'll never notice it once you re-skin it with new monokote.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Nathan King

I had this problem with my Joker Restoration (c. 1985). It may look like there is only color left, but in my case there was a thin layer of adhesive gunk. I took a heat gun, got it really hot (don't burn the wood) and scraped it off with a razor blade. It will melt and smear if you don't quite get it hot enough, try a little more heat. It took a little less than two weeks to completely remove it, but i was left with a much smoother surface. Any imperfection on the surface WILL be magnified once the Monokote is on.

Once that was done I sanded the surface and it looked like new.