Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Addin weight

Old 03-09-2003, 02:13 AM
BALSABRO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Addin weight

Has anyone ever tried to epoxy lead into a plastic spinner nose cone ??? Any no no here ??? Comments
Old 03-09-2003, 03:51 AM
rc_boy_12
My Feedback: (2)

Default Addin weight

what would the reason be for?weight in the nose?it could work but if it aint straioght all the way round,it would not be balanced right and would vibrate really bad
Old 03-09-2003, 04:05 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Get the lead out...

I don't think it would be worth the trouble; as said in the previous post it would most certainly be out of balance. Why don't you use one of those 'heavy hubs' under the spinner? It screws on in place of your regular prop nut and they fit under most spinners. Either that or the more traditional lead weights on the firewall.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:48 AM
voegdmcm
My Feedback: (3)

Default Addin weight

Don't do it. It will make your spinner out of balance as has been stated. The spinner would most likely break off. Saw a plastic spinner break off once, hit a guy in the face and it took a trip to the doctor and needle and thread to fix him up. Dan
Old 03-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Addin weight

Originally posted by crazieflyer
Bad way to try to add weight.
I use stick in weights and place them inside the center of the fuse as close to the nose as I can.
Play safe and do it right.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:22 PM
CafeenMan

Default Addin weight

Epoxying lead inside the spinner is a really bad idea. What ho2zoo said is the way to go - use a heavy hub under the spinner if it will fit. Otherwise, bolt some lead onto the firewall or engine mount.

Have you tried shifting your radio around? Moving the battery as far forward as it will go? Smaller tail wheel?
Old 03-11-2003, 06:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Addin weight

Depending on the size of the plane, you might even want to avoid the heavy hubs. I've seen more than one prop fly off in mid-flight. I hate to have to try a dead stick landing with a tail-heavy airplane!