Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

prop balancing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default prop balancing

HELP
I just cant seem to balance my props. I can get the horizontal balance fine but to get it to balance in any other position,,,drives me crazy.I have a top flight balancer as well as a thumb balancer. When I put he prop vertical it will move ,say, to one side. then ,just to see, I flip it over to the other side it then moves in the same direction-----to me it seems like it should move in the same direction as the opposite side..I hope Imm making sense. This whole thing is driving me up a wall.

Any help would be utterly appreciated. And ,,,,yes Ive all the articles on balancing props ,, to no avail.----Ive tried everything logically (sheesh)

THANKS GUYS--------------------JIM[sm=48_48.gif]
Old 07-18-2007, 08:07 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: prop balancing

What size prop are you trying to balance? Maybe this prop balncing video will help you out. The only balancer I use is the DuBro. The Top Flite is to sensative and the thumb balance is completely out of the question.

http://www.dodvideos.com/don3.wmv

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD712&P=ML
Old 07-18-2007, 12:42 PM
scratchonly

You have a prop with a heavy hub in one area. Not as critical as a tip imbalance.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

George, what type of planes do you fly?

Unless you're flying Pylon or extreme speed, getting a prop "Close" is close enough.

For most trainers and sport fliers, right off the shelf will work just fine.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM
feihu

George:
One side of the hub is heavier than the other. I put a glob of epoxy on the light side of the hub, add or remove epoxy until the propeller can stop in any position.
feihu
Old 07-18-2007, 11:12 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Unless you're flying Pylon or extreme speed, getting a prop "Close" is close enough.

Not with the props I get off the shelf.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:55 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PipeMajor

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Not with the props I get off the shelf.

Nor the props I've bought off the shelf. Actually, most are good enough. But some have been criminal. And they all looked pretty. Only way to cull out the bad couple was to slap all of them on a balancer.

But close is close enough usually.

On the other hand....... A buddy and I have been flying a Monocoupe with an OS91. The airplane is supposed to be a 60-90 design. We've noticed an obvious shakiness at times. You'd see a bit of blur when cranking with a starter and right after the engine started. We swapped out the props that did that and didn't see whatever it was that didn't look or feel right. Took the props home and checked them and they needed balancing. Turns out we blasted the Monocoupe the other day. Turns out the LitePly firewall wasn't what you'd call strong. Granted, it had dissolved in some places from the crash, but it was obviously second grade LitePly. The lesson I've taken from that crash and a couple of other incidents, is that with firewalls going to LitePly, ain't a snowballs chance in Miami am I going to blow off checking prop balance nowadays just because they're usually close enough. "Usually" isn't good enough for my models.