Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cowl gromments

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Domnimon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl gromments

Does anybody know where i can get silicon grommets for my cowl, perferably clear or white grommets to match cowl color ?. Its for the Funtana 40 with a saito 82. The vibration is just too much for the mounting holes it just makes the holes bigger when not using any gromments. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

DC
Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Cowl gromments

You can make them from fuel tubing. Just cut off a small piece of tubing and use it as the grommet.

Ken
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Domnimon

Hi, yes i thought of that too, but was hoping something more permanent that would stay in place something like the servo gromment with the groove around it.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I have used the fuel tubing with some success but now I reinforce the inside of the cowl with a piece of light ply. It really beefs up the cowl and the screws wont cut through the ply like they do the cowl. If there are 2 screws in each side of the cowl I run 1 piece of ply down the inside of the cowl. Then on the fuse I run an equal length of ply to butt up against the ply on the cowl. I then use blind nuts and bolts to attach the cowl. That way instead of the cowl just being attached on four screws it is actually making ply to ply contact down both sides. Its comes out pretty sturdy and stands up well to vibration.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

try McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com I use the round servo grommets that went in the old Kraft servos and I think some Futaba. Use one of the brass servo eyelets too and your cowl wear problems will be over.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Domnimon

Gringo Flyer, placing lite ply on inside cowl and on fuse would create a big gap between cowl and fuse while i don't think it will look all that good. but i most likely try the fuel tubing trick, thanks.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Domnimon

R8893 , do you know which specific model of gromment you used ?, they have a quite a few at that site, thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Go to WWW.pspmfg.com Look at their cowl binders. This is also a good source for colored fuel dots.

David
Old 07-20-2007, 11:50 PM
roknHS

You can reinforce the inside of the cowl with your spare CA hinges..........If you have blind nuts for your cowl screws, use nylon instead of metal screws........Micro Fasteners has 4-40 and up in nylon.........less vibration related problems with nylon......they also have some neoprene backed stainless washers that I use with #2 button head black screws........super for areas with vibration issues.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:01 AM
sharpshooter223

just go to a hardware store, thats where i get my grommets, i know ace has them
Old 07-21-2007, 07:46 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Domnimon, It has been so long since I bought them I don't remember (backwhen I was flying with Kraft radios). I do know that they fit in a 1/4" hole. OD is about 3/8".
Chuck