Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Canopy Painting / Tinting

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Canopy Painting / Tinting

Old 03-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Flyn_Hawaiian
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Painting / Tinting

Finishing my winter project. Thinking of painting or tinting the inside of the supplied clear plastic (vinyl?)canopy.

What should I use to paint it with?

OR

What should I use to tint it with?

I remember seeing an article in the modeling magazines but can't seem to find it now.... you know how that goes......

Helpful hints would be appreciated!
Old 03-10-2003, 09:42 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: CANOPY TINTING

Hello
On the RCU search page type in Canopy tinting and some post will come up and give you a lot of tips on what to do.
I bought a can of window tint (used by the RC Car/truck people) and spraied really light mist coats until I got the canopy as dark as I wanted it.
NEDYOB
Old 03-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Flyn_Hawaiian

Thanks for the info..... Duh!! I should have searched earlier.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:12 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always used RIT Dye with very good results.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:41 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

Our new friend from Hawaii This subject has been discussed many times so far . Let me recap it , get a container big enough so you can dip your canopy in it (submerge). add two packages of ritz Dye one black and one midnight blue , a table spoon of salt and a half cup of vinegar. Fill the container with hot water heated to 140 F . Now dip your cannopy in this solution and then cool it off immediately under cold running water to prevent it from deforming ' Each time you repeat this you canopy becomes a shade darker. Note that this permanent so stop when the desired shade is reached
Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Flyn_Hawaiian

Thanks for the info.... I've read the scoop on Blue Rit..
140 F, 1 tbl salt,etc.

This seems to be proven..... my first choice would be a "mirror" look, then I'll see about the blue tint.

Has anyone been successful with "mirror" paints? I've seen some nice "chrome color" gloss paints and wondered if this would give me the effect that i'm looking for.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Haoleman
My Feedback: (3)

Howzit Brah!

I remember using the Rit Dye technique when I was in High school in the 60's There was also a good spray on film we used to tint our car windows until the cops made us scrape it off. Only problem with Rit is that it fades over time so you will possibly have to redo it if your plane lasts that long. Just keep the canopy covered except to fly and you should be ok. All colors work. We even did a dip of several colors so they ended up looking like gradient sun glasses!

Haoleman (Former Kona Boy)
Old 10-06-2006, 09:37 PM
RVM

Default RE: Canopy Painting / Tinting

So the colors don't just mix and form one color? Or did you dip several times, each in a different color?

ORIGINAL: Haoleman

Howzit Brah!

I remember using the Rit Dye technique when I was in High school in the 60's There was also a good spray on film we used to tint our car windows until the cops made us scrape it off. Only problem with Rit is that it fades over time so you will possibly have to redo it if your plane lasts that long. Just keep the canopy covered except to fly and you should be ok. All colors work. We even did a dip of several colors so they ended up looking like gradient sun glasses!

Haoleman (Former Kona Boy)
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all the plastics used to make canopys will take the rit so you may have to spray.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

You also mentioned painting the canopy, for this, you can use paint for the rc car bodies, I have used them with great results, they come in spray cans or in liquid bottles that you must airbrush on for best results. These paint are made so they won't crack on the plastic when flexing, you must also paint them from the inside.

Joe
Old 10-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Charlie P.

My aircraft have three options with canopys: none, clear or ugly. I have had the worst luck in the world trying to dye canopies. I use Rit, add salt and vinegar and heat it up to 180ΒΊ. First attempt I wanted a dark canopy so I mixed black and Navy Blue. Came out pink. More time in the bath and it came out dark purple. Ugh. I used a puppet of Lamb Chop as the pilot in that plane.

Next attempt I tried Slate colored Rit dye. Came out orange. Maybe it's my water?

Figured the solution is to forever after avoid canopies or spray paint the inside.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:34 PM
RVM

Wow lol

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

My aircraft have three options with canopys: none, clear or ugly. I have had the worst luck in the world trying to dye canopies. I use Rit, add salt and vinegar and heat it up to 180ΒΊ. First attempt I wanted a dark canopy so I mixed black and Navy Blue. Came out pink. More time in the bath and it came out dark purple. Ugh. I used a puppet of Lamb Chop as the pilot in that plane.

Next attempt I tried Slate colored Rit dye. Came out orange. Maybe it's my water?

Figured the solution is to forever after avoid canopies or spray paint the inside.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM
da Rock

Funny this thread popping back up after so long.................

I've tried to dye 3 canopies in the last year. They came in ARFs from 3 different mfgs. Not one of them changed the least bit in the dye. Screw trying to dye canopies nowadays. I think the guys who own the RIT dye mfg plant keep the myth alive that it still works, just to sell the stuff. After all, I've bought 8 or 9 boxes of the stuff in just one year. However, 3 strikes and you're oooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
RVM

So what are you using now?

I think I will try the Rit dye on my APC props though. Could turn out pretty good.

ORIGINAL: darock

Funny this thread popping back up after so long.................

I've tried to dye 3 canopies in the last year. They came in ARFs from 3 different mfgs. Not one of them changed the least bit in the dye. Screw trying to dye canopies nowadays. I think the guys who own the RIT dye mfg plant keep the myth alive that it still works, just to sell the stuff. After all, I've bought 8 or 9 boxes of the stuff in just one year. However, 3 strikes and you're oooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 PM
da Rock

Using now?

Spray paint. It's what I wound up doing to those canopies that wouldn't take the RIT dye.

I'm a fairly experienced spray painter, and the paint sold for canopies is hard for me to apply. You REALLY have to mist it on. Really.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 PM
RVM

I'm an "ok" painter, so I'm not gonna try that. I think I will try the dye method on my Fliton Extra's canopy before I do anything else.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

I am going to test tinting my Fliton Extra's canopy ( small piece of scrap) by adding some vinegar to the Rite Dye. Very little black in the mix if any as it turns out more brown.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:12 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

My experience with trying to dye them hasn't been too good either. It's too easy to warp them by getting the water too hot and as was mentioned some of them won't even except the dye. It does work to paint them on the inside though. That works just fine. One thing I would suggest though is not to make them too dark or it will get too hot in the sun and warp.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:27 PM
RVM

Let me know how this works, and also tell us the colors you used!

ORIGINAL: GarySS

I am going to test tinting my Fliton Extra's canopy ( small piece of scrap) by adding some vinegar to the Rite Dye. Very little black in the mix if any as it turns out more brown.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:41 PM
da Rock

A lot of guys paint the insides for the effect. They use semi-transparent glitter paint and go around the canopy framework. Then follow with a silver or gold or whatever color works with their main paintscheme.

Any light color will actually reduce the temp inside the canopy. And dark colors will absorb and heat the insides.