Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Need more spinner clearance

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Need more spinner clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need more spinner clearance

Hi Guys, I've got a plane that needs more clearance between the fuselage nose and the spinner backplate. Short of shimming the engine mounts away from the firewall or cutting back the fuselage nose blocks and recovering it, How unsafe would putting say, a thin nylon washer/spacer between the thrust washer on the engine and the spinner backplate be? Would I be looking for problems with props loosening up? Thanks, Tim
Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Campy

Default RE: Need more spinner clearance

You SHOULD be OK using a soft metal washer as a shim. MAKE SURE the hole in the washer is the same size as the crankshaft AND the outer diameter is the same size as the thrust washer. If the crankshaft hole is larger there is a very real possibility of the washer shifting and causing a bunch of vibration.

The reason I say soft metal (aluminum ) is that the thrust washer will be able to bite into the metal without compressing the washer where the nylon washer may compress and loosen in flight.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

propbuster,

I've used real thin gasket material that comes in a carb kit. Works really well.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 PM
propbuster

Zippy, I'm trying to gain about 1/8" more clearance, so I think I'll need the metal washer to get that.
Campy, Good point about the nylon compressing, Also, what do you guys think about filing thin grooves in the side of the washer that will meet the spinner backplate to bite into it like the thrust washer is supposed to do? Thanks Guys
Old 07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't have the same problem but have a solution. On a Saito72/82 there are not enough threads to use a thin prop. In other words the prop nut will not tighten up the prop before the threads run out on the crank. I took an old broken spinner and cut the back plate into a washer. It works great. Can be seen in pic.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20558.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	729563  
Old 07-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have used the cut down cente of a spinner as a washer without any problems.

Terry
Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 PM
scratchonly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut a piece of 1/8 AIRCRAFT ply to the proper size; a 1" hole saw works fine. Glue some 320 wet and dry sandpaper to both sides with med CA. TIGHTEN THE NUT. I have a plane with a 91 fs that flys every day with this washer. Good luck.