Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Retracts Useless... Now what?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobbico Retracts Useless... Now what?

Old 03-11-2003, 03:11 AM
v6goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Retracts Useless... Now what?

Hi guys...

Spent the afternoon fitting Hobbico 90deg rotating retracts to my .60 size Corsair and have given up.
I am totally disillusioned by the shoddy manufacture of these units. I wont go into details about all that is wrong with them, but i have no confidence in them at all...

What now? Who makes a reasonable mechanical 90deg unit? I am so not a money guy, so this has really hurt my wallet as well...

Help

Goose

PS. Will have to mail order them as there is nothing in NZ.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:36 AM
CafeenMan

What about the Robart retracts?

For what it's worth, I almost never buy store brand stuff. Mostly it's junk and you know that they aren't manufacturers. As a rule I buy stuff from people who actually make the stuff, not from someone who stamps their name on things they don't make. Whenever you buy something like that then you know it's worth even less because there's another mark-up involved.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:41 AM
v6goose

Thanks Caff....

With all the looks and no replies, i was beginner to wonder what retracts people were using!
I know they are cheap, thats why i bought them, but you get what you pay for, and its not like i hadnt been warned in various threads in here... *sigh*

i couldnt find a mechanical 90deg rotating unit from Robart, and i cant affort an air system. Do you know of any other mechanical manufacturers who make a quality product?

Cheers

Goose
Old 03-12-2003, 02:47 AM
CafeenMan

I don't have a lot of experience with retracts. I used some off-brand of mechanicals on a plane many years ago and they kept collapsing. I couldn't afford "real" retracts and sold the plane to someone who put Rhom Aires in them and that solved the problem.

I'm pretty sure Robart makes a 90 degree rotating retract. You might go to the Top Flight site and see what they recommend for their .60 Corsair. If it's not listed, then maybe give them a call. That's about all I can suggest. Hope you get it ironed out. Nothing worse than having ongoing problems with a model and never getting to fly it.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:53 AM
v6goose

Thanks again...

Oh i will fly it... even if i have to belly flop her in, but im sure there is a better way

Cheers

Goose
Old 03-12-2003, 05:06 AM
nchrome

V6goose dont give up the gear yet. I'm currently trying to work out a deal with B&D retracts on a rotating retract. I figured out how to do it and so far quite a few of our club member have been working the mechenisum and so far they haven't been able to make it fail to rotate or get out of adjustment. As soon as I can work out the details there will soon be a reliable rotating retract for you corsair and P-40 at a fair price both mechanical or air for the forty, sixty and 1/5 scale warbirds. I've herd about the Robarts and the century gear and with the B&Ds you wont have the problems they are having.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:01 PM
onewasp

90 degree non rotating retract unit, go to Gator or Central Hobbies and check out the MK "L" type. Or go to the Gold as shown on Gator. No ball bearings but a heavier strut/mechanism.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Default Robart 615's

I looked at the Robart 615's on Tower's "Cabin Fever Sale", and almost ordered them. Rotating retracts, $89.99, and they have the air kit for $56.99. Just in case you're interested,

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/listings/cabinfever.html

Good Luck,
Dave Olson
Old 03-12-2003, 06:11 PM
ggale
My Feedback: (6)

Currently installing Dave Brown retracts on a GP P-51D arf. This is my first with retracts, but for what its worth, these appear to be very well made. But they were almost 3 times what the Hobbico brand cost.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:58 PM
v6goose

Thanks guys!

Now i have somewhere to look and order from. I will probably order them and replace these awful ones when they come in, but i will try flying the Corsair on these ones cause i cant wait.

Cheers

Goose
Old 03-12-2003, 08:57 PM
v6goose

Nchrome...

I did a search for B&D, and can you imagine what i found! :-o

*laugh* Just kidding, sounds good, keen to know more info...

Cheers

Goose
Old 03-14-2003, 05:44 AM
eefkt

Default what's wrong with Hobbico 90deg rotating retracts?

Goose,
Could you tell me what is the problem with
the Hobbico retracts? It happened I have just
ordered the same retracts, intended to use on
the same plane, with the same reason - money
as you did. Thanks!!

Ting
Old 03-14-2003, 07:02 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

I'll 2nd the Dave Brown retracts, and follow the instructions - I didn't, fought with them for a day, then I did and had them working in 5 minutes.

Use LIGHT tires though, foam vs scale style.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:06 PM
v6goose

Hey Ting...

Well let me be fair. One of my retracts worked correctly, the other didnt move at all!. I talked to my buddy and he too had problems with both of his.
Mine was so tight the actuating slide wouldnt move. I dissassembled the unit and put a caliper on the main nylon center block to find that end on, the bottom was nearly 2mm wider than the top. So when the sides are bolted together, the taper stops the slide quite effectively.
I used brass shims to pack out the top which fixed the slide problem.
Second problem was the hole in the pivot block where the strut goes through, needs to have enough clearance for the strut to rotate. Guess what? You got it, so tight, no rotate. In fact the collar on the strut that connects to the body to rotate the strut was being turned on the strut leg even with the grub screw as tight as i dared. So to fix that i carefully drilled out the block, and filed a flat spot on the strut to stop the collar rotating.
Add to this the soft metal of the rotating links which i fear will break off on anything less than a greased landing, the need for Loctite on the body nuts, the adjusting grub screws cracking the nylon blocks as soon as you try to adjust them, and the overall shoddyness of manufacture, and you begin to appreciate my frustrations.

That is not to say they are all like this. I dont know. The two pair that we have had experience with have had extensive problems. I contacted the manufacturer via e-mail but dont expect any kind of reply.

If you get a good pair, then great! If not be prepared to do some work. I would still suggest going for a Robart unit, or by some comments, the Dave Brown's. Retracts typically have a higher rate of failure than most of the items we use to fly, so investing in a more solid unit will have long term benefits.

I agree with Steve too, use foam tires over scale. These cheap units struggle with the weight of scale tires, say like Robarts.

Good luck for all you get into, and let us know how you get on.

Goose
Old 03-16-2003, 09:17 PM
v6goose

Another comment...

Why did i persevere with all the drama? I mail ordered the retracts so cant return them easily, second i cant afford much more for retracts and third i dont wanna wait to fly my Corsair!

Good luck...

Goose
Old 03-17-2003, 03:04 AM
eefkt

Thanks Goose, that's great info! :thumbup:
I suspected the metal could be weak,
which I could overcome with my superb landing skill .
But what you describe is ......
I'll see how's mine turn out. Thanks again.

Ting
Old 03-25-2003, 04:36 PM
eefkt

My pair have finally arrived, and they work ok.
But using one retracts servo for both side it have
to struggle really hard to raise the wheels,
I have to use 2 for one on each side.
:cry: For little money I saved, I get to see
those wheels pop in and out lightning fast .

Ting:stupid: